Something funky on my chickens.. HELP!!!

Oh Thank Goodness, I just sat here and cried to my husband... Beating myself up for building the coop near a wood part of my property because it gave Shade during part of the day. Well that wooded area is also mosquito infected.

I thought I was going to have to Cull all of them!

I then just went and read through tons of articles... So yes I will let it run its course and pray it goes quickly.

One of my poor australops comb is all deformed from this, it will probably be scarred like that permanently? Also the one buff orpington whose eye is all closed up with lesions, do you think she will be permanently blinded?

Well I am just glad I won't have to cull them... and this was a lesson learned. I will vaccinate them from here on out.
I did have the hatchery vaccinate for Merricks, but I don't think that was offered. I will have to order some from Jeffers.

I'm in Florida too. Mine had it last fall but it didn't get in their eyes. I just let it run it's course. Make sure the ones who have it in their eyes don't get pressure building up in the eye. That could blind them. Is the eye completely shut? Can fluid leak out? I would at least once a day make sure the eyelids don't seal shut.
sharon

Quote:
Fowl pox usually disappears in about a month, give or take a week or two. Let the scabs drop off or disappear on their own, the combs and wattles will eventually return to normal. Use terramycin eye ointment or neosporin ointment on the lesions around the eye of your Buff Orpington to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. The only way she'll go blind is if she scratches constantly at the lesions on the eye and/or a severe bacterial infection sets in from the scratching. This why you should apply an antibiotic ointment to the area.
After the virus has passed, there will be no need to vaccinate the birds that had the disease, they will be immune to that particular strain thereafter.

Thank you Dwag you always have the answer and i appreciate it so much! I was going to buy the vaccine for my cochins who are on the property so they dont get it. Can my geese get this too? They are closer to the standard chickens by about 100 ft or so.

Back
Top Bottom