Something Got 12 of My Quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gamebirdboy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I put 53 two week old coturnix in a dog carrier overnight. They were in a shed that could use more ventilation so we left the door cracked about an inch at the bottom. The wire on the cage was 1 inch, they were only going to be in it one night because we had to finish putting the door on the new cage and they were too big for the brooder. I went up to put them in the new pen and 12 were dead. They all had their necks broken and a few had the heads ripped off. Something tried to dig into my chicken pen, but it didn't get in. I think a raccoon did this. Am I right? Should I keep them in the garage until I wrap wire around the legs of the cage? Thanks

2. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    OMG, I think that would have put me over the edge. I am sorry for your loss. I have no suggestions. I just needed to admit that I would probably have to be medicated after such an event.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Were their heads still there ?

4. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:On some of them, about 5 had heads, but broken necks. The rest had no head.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    sorry buddy.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You say you only left the door open only one inch at the bottom. Sounds like you might have a weasel problem. They can enter very small spaces and would definitely eat the heads only. I don't think a raccoon could get into a one inch space under a door with the exception of a paw. I have coons prowling all night long around my quail and chicken areas with 1 inch spaces all over and they have never gotten in. I have however had weasels squeeze thru spaces in my vents in my greenhouse which have about a one inch or so space. I am sorry about your quail. [​IMG]

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    broken necks from bonking? trying to get away from predator? weasel? rat? feed smell attracted rat, birds bonked, broke necks, rat/weasel ate heads?

8. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    They couldn't have bonked, it's about 3 ft. high and I don't see how a head could have came off and disappeared. I left it propped open about an inch, I had a ruler shoved down it to keep it open and it had a lock on it. If something pushed from the inside it might have come out another 2 inches or so. I've never seen a weasel around here though.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sounds Like Coon Attack To Me

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup.racoons with rip the heads off.........so sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by