Something Got 12 of My Quail!

gamebirdboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
East Tennessee
I put 53 two week old coturnix in a dog carrier overnight. They were in a shed that could use more ventilation so we left the door cracked about an inch at the bottom. The wire on the cage was 1 inch, they were only going to be in it one night because we had to finish putting the door on the new cage and they were too big for the brooder. I went up to put them in the new pen and 12 were dead. They all had their necks broken and a few had the heads ripped off. Something tried to dig into my chicken pen, but it didn't get in. I think a raccoon did this. Am I right? Should I keep them in the garage until I wrap wire around the legs of the cage? Thanks

CartierChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
OMG, I think that would have put me over the edge. I am sorry for your loss. I have no suggestions. I just needed to admit that I would probably have to be medicated after such an event.

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
Staff member
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
You say you only left the door open only one inch at the bottom. Sounds like you might have a weasel problem. They can enter very small spaces and would definitely eat the heads only. I don't think a raccoon could get into a one inch space under a door with the exception of a paw. I have coons prowling all night long around my quail and chicken areas with 1 inch spaces all over and they have never gotten in. I have however had weasels squeeze thru spaces in my vents in my greenhouse which have about a one inch or so space. I am sorry about your quail.

MobyQuail

c. giganticus
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Quailtropolis
broken necks from bonking? trying to get away from predator? weasel? rat? feed smell attracted rat, birds bonked, broke necks, rat/weasel ate heads?

gamebirdboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
East Tennessee
They couldn't have bonked, it's about 3 ft. high and I don't see how a head could have came off and disappeared. I left it propped open about an inch, I had a ruler shoved down it to keep it open and it had a lock on it. If something pushed from the inside it might have come out another 2 inches or so. I've never seen a weasel around here though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom