Something got my roo!

chickmashnoon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Champaign County, Illinois
Went out to lock up the coop a couple days ago and there were feathers everywhere and only my roo missing
hit.gif
No body, so he must have gotten carried away, just a trail of feathers out toward the field. It was just before sundown. Could this be a coyote? I hear them in the evening and last year b-4 I had chickens they used to come up near the house at night. I'm pretty comfortable with the coop/run withstanding the attack, but it looks as if the critter must have gotten my Leon after he put the girls to bed and he was out staking his territory before he jumps atop the coop to sleep. usually I shut the run door when he feels he's done checking the area out
sad.png
I didn't hear a thing. Now I lure them all back into the run with treats before the sun goes down. Just scary. I also have areas of the hardware cloth (on the side of the run) that look like something chewed on it.. it was low so that seems more like a racoon/opposum? Any clues?

Not sure if it was a coyote or raccoon because I'm not there. However I make sure the 2 roo's are inside before I lock up at dusk.

Sorry to hear about your loss, nothing worse than loosing an awesome flock Roo doing his job. Probably not an opossum...to much energy for them to carry it off, my guesses, 'coon, fox, or coyote.

Yeah, I'm suspecting coyote myself. I just figured I'd find a body or something. The girls didn't seem to be ruffled at all. I guess they just thought he was taking a vacation. I've picked up two more roos and I think I'm gonna pull the game cam out.

Anybody have any luck deterring coyotes with those red eye thingys?

Back
Top Bottom