I would also agree that this looks to be salpingitis. Whilst the herbal recipe may help with the infection and certainly can't harm, it is not going to remove the mass of infected egg material/cheesy pus from her oviduct which is no doubt constricting her digestive tract. That said, if you are in the northern hemisphere ( you have not included your location in your profile page but it may be quite relevant) your hen will be moulting and her egg laying cycle will be coming to an end for the season. This means that her body will stop ovulating and that will prevent the problem from getting worse and may give her another 3-6 more months of life. Her body has probably already started to reabsorb some of the fluid from the infected mass which is why the swelling has reduced a bit. It is your call between giving her an antibiotic to control the infection which looks to have taken over her digestive tract, probably as a result of the slower passage of waste due to the constriction, or to treat with the herbs. I am not an expert on antibiotics but if you went that route, the vet could culture a faecal sample to establish which antibiotic would be appropriate to treat the digestive infection. The oviduct infection has probably self terminated by solidifying.... this is what chickens bodies do to puss to prevent the spread of infection..... but the blockage in the oviduct is a major issue and once she starts ovulating again in the spring (if she gets that far), it will eventually kill her as the eggs will back up inside her and you will see the swelling star to get much worse.

I'm sorry that this is not good news. Reproductive problems like this are very common in hens because their reproductive tract is so active.... making it more likely to break down before the chicken reaches old age.

I would also agree that this looks to be salpingitis. Whilst the herbal recipe may help with the infection and certainly can't harm, it is not going to remove the mass of infected egg material/cheesy pus from her oviduct which is no doubt constricting her digestive tract. That said, if you are in the northern hemisphere ( you have not included your location in your profile page but it may be quite relevant) your hen will be moulting and her egg laying cycle will be coming to an end for the season. This means that her body will stop ovulating and that will prevent the problem from getting worse and may give her another 3-6 more months of life. Her body has probably already started to reabsorb some of the fluid from the infected mass which is why the swelling has reduced a bit. It is your call between giving her an antibiotic to control the infection which looks to have taken over her digestive tract, probably as a result of the slower passage of waste due to the constriction, or to treat with the herbs. I am not an expert on antibiotics but if you went that route, the vet could culture a faecal sample to establish which antibiotic would be appropriate to treat the digestive infection. The oviduct infection has probably self terminated by solidifying.... this is what chickens bodies do to puss to prevent the spread of infection..... but the blockage in the oviduct is a major issue and once she starts ovulating again in the spring (if she gets that far), it will eventually kill her as the eggs will back up inside her and you will see the swelling star to get much worse.

I'm sorry that this is not good news. Reproductive problems like this are very common in hens because their reproductive tract is so active.... making it more likely to break down before the chicken reaches old age.
Thank you very much for your time and help.we are in northern hemisphere and here is fall and I hoping she will be mounting and stop laying.I am praying for her health and hoping she will be fine.

I think it's possible fatty liver, I feel something hard in left side of her abdomen just near her leg.is it possible fatty and enlarge liver?can in fatty liver, feel liver with hands? what's treatment?

I think it's possible fatty liver, I feel something hard in left side of her abdomen just near her leg.is it possible fatty and enlarge liver?can in fatty liver, feel liver with hands? what's treatment?

It's possible that she may have fatty liver and/or fat in the abdomen along with the Salpingitis. I do not know if a fatty liver can be felt as a mass. Sometimes Salpingitis, cancer, tumors or eggs can be felt as a mass in the abdomen.

You will have to do some research/reading, but sadly, like most disorders, there is no real treatment for Fatty Liver syndrome. Reducing fat intake, limiting treats to no more than 5-10% of daily intake, ensuring your girls have a fresh balanced poultry feed and exercise can help with prevention of Fatty Liver.

I do understand your girls are pets. Mine somewhat fall into that category as well. Each of mine has a name, those that want to be petted or held get that special attention. When one passes or is put down, I do take a moment and grieve for them. Each one gets a handpainted (by me) grave marker to remember them by. That said, when I let one go - I do want to find out the cause, if possible. The only way I know to do this is either send the body for necropsy/testing or perform an informal necropsy at home. Being able to get a report or actually see what was going on inside lets me know if I need to change anything that I'm doing or if there was nothing I could do. Sadly, the ones that I have opened up, there were egg masses or signs of irreversible reproductive dysfunction that was not treatable. I know it's hard to consider having this done, but without further investigation after death, you will always be left wondering.

I'm very sorry - I wish I had better answers for you :hugs
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/chickens-obesity-silent-killer-how-to.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...oultry/219/fatty-liver-haemorrhagic-syndrome/
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...f-fatty-liver-hemorrhagic-syndrome-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom