Something is digging into Fort Knox

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
Well, after patting myself on the back for my conscious predator control, this morning my daughter found a hole in the run where someone dug in overnight. I can't find the other side of the hole - who knows how far this creature tunneled? I have hardware wire buried 18 inches down all the way around my run and the run base is 6x6 landscape timbers. So whatever it is, it's digging long and deep. The hole is not terribly big around and I didn't see any prints in the run sand. I'm hoping that it's a ding dong squirrel or chipmunk (which are abundant, destructive and BUSY right now, but luckily not threatening) that maybe dug dug dug, stuck it's head up, said "ruh roh raggy" (bad scooby doo impersonation) and turned tail.

Or could it be a snake? Eeeek. It has already snowed (temporarily) here, it's cold - seems a bit chilly for a slithery friend... Gads, I hope not.

Regardless, I'm a true advocate for locking the hens up at night. Strong run or not.

IMG_3009.jpg

Maybe a rat? I just found a similar hole to what you described and I believe mine was from a rat.. Tricky little rodents! Of course it doesn't help that my silkies are trying to dig OUT at the same time..
he.gif

Weasel. They are blood suckers and will kill chicks especially. Leave the hole only partly filled in and put D-Con in there, or corn soaked with antifreeze. Don't let the dog near it!

Back
Top Bottom