Something is getting my ducks

Ozark Girl

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I had 6 ducks and in the course of the last month 3 have gone. These are 6 month old ducks, 1 black swede and a male and female rouen. the first to go was the female rouen Lolly, then the male black swede Fred and last night the male rouen Pop. there are no signs of a struggle, no feathers no nothing any help and advice to stop this would be very helpful...........thanks in advance

Last edited:
A number of years ago I had a bobcat take chickens and he left no sign. I have had a laying flock of some sort or another for years and I have seen raccoon, possum, hawk, cougar and bobcat. The only one not to leave any clues was the bobcat. Perhaps someone else here will know more.

I had one taken a couple months ago.. they free ranged during the day in an area enclosed by a chain link fence and a preditor proof pen at nite.
Seemed pretty safe during the day. Found one missing, looked and lookd for her, could see NOTHING, I walked out behind the chain link fence in the brush and found a racoon eatin on her..( I didnt take it very well. ).. looked and looked for any evidence of how it happend.. she was a small call duck but still ??
Ive heard of them pulling them thru chain link... and I know he didnt scale the fence as he was big and we have 3 rows of barbed wire across the top.
I NOW HAVE their free range area all enclosed with hardware cloth.
could it be a hawk, owl or other bird.??

I thought maybe an owl, I live in Missouri near Richland about 75 miles east of Springfield. I try to get the ducks to go in the chicken coop at night but try to talk a duck out of a pond......lol I know they usually stay on the pond all night and I have a floating duck house. I know losing animals is part of the whole have farm animals thing but I really dont want to lose more:D

We had a bunch that we lost with no sign. We free range and have for the last 3 years. Never had a prob till this year. Once predators figure out where easy food is they come back to dine. I think ours were possums killing and taking them, or a fox. We just never see them! Now locking up HARD at nite has seemed to help a bit. No more laxness!

can you get them to come to you with food? if so maybe they would follow you to their pen where you could lock them in after they have had a real nice treat, that way they will get use to you coming in the evening to give them something really good to eat just before bed time. So sorry for your losses.

Bobcat. They are surprisingly everywhere and you never know it. One has been getting our ducks for about 4 months now and the closest place he could possibly be hiding out during the day is about 7 miles away. They are sneaky and fast, they almost never leave any sign that they have been there and they are sly little buggers. We are currently still in the process of catching ours.

Ok.. re-reading you mean at night? there left out? if so, could be a whole range of predators.. depending on your region. Sorry, that's no fun to find them gone. I lock all ours up at night, they free range during the day though.

how do you get them to go in at night? I am new to this since I raised these from babies, I dont know what a duck treat would be. The chickens go in fine on their own but it always dark I dont know how to get either in the coop:(
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom