Something is wrong.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doghamstyluv95, Mar 23, 2009.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    My hen has tried to lay an egg, the egg yolk has come out but we cannot see a shell any where and a whitish liquid like an egg white is kinda just there. Her butt is also kinda sticking out a little and she is puffed up and doesnt look too good. Please help!!! It is not her first egg

2. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    I've not had this happen, but it sounds like she laid a shelless egg - I've heard of it happening.

It also sounds like she might have a prolapsed vent - I'm sure some others who've had this happen will be along to help

3. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Passing a shell-less or soft egg is harder for a hen than a hard-shelled egg.

1. Soak her in warm water & ger her relaxed/calm
    2. Put on gloves and see if you can get the rest out of her. yes, gross, but necessary
    3. Once you've done all you can, put her in a dog carrier or box that is in a warm, dark place.
    4. Give her a high-calcium treat, such as a hard-boiled egg with the egg shell & extra shells crushed into it.
    5. Keep her in the dark, if possible. this may interrupt her egg-laying cycle and give her a little bit of a rest.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

5. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Ok well I slowly took the egg shell out(it was a soft one) and along came some poop. She seems to be a little better, we gave her a little tomato and yogurt and she also drank some water. She then proceeded to bite the only hen lower than her. So she is more normal but not completely. She still hasn't really made a sound or seemed completely healthy and we put the heat on in the coop. I guess thats all I can do. I am so incredibly worried. She is my favorite and my little sweetie pie and would rather sit in our laps than eat food. Thank you guys for helping! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by