Something is wrong.......

doghamstyluv95

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
My hen has tried to lay an egg, the egg yolk has come out but we cannot see a shell any where and a whitish liquid like an egg white is kinda just there. Her butt is also kinda sticking out a little and she is puffed up and doesnt look too good. Please help!!! It is not her first egg

I've not had this happen, but it sounds like she laid a shelless egg - I've heard of it happening.

It also sounds like she might have a prolapsed vent - I'm sure some others who've had this happen will be along to help

Passing a shell-less or soft egg is harder for a hen than a hard-shelled egg.

1. Soak her in warm water & ger her relaxed/calm
2. Put on gloves and see if you can get the rest out of her. yes, gross, but necessary
3. Once you've done all you can, put her in a dog carrier or box that is in a warm, dark place.
4. Give her a high-calcium treat, such as a hard-boiled egg with the egg shell & extra shells crushed into it.
5. Keep her in the dark, if possible. this may interrupt her egg-laying cycle and give her a little bit of a rest.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Ok well I slowly took the egg shell out(it was a soft one) and along came some poop. She seems to be a little better, we gave her a little tomato and yogurt and she also drank some water. She then proceeded to bite the only hen lower than her. So she is more normal but not completely. She still hasn't really made a sound or seemed completely healthy and we put the heat on in the coop. I guess thats all I can do. I am so incredibly worried. She is my favorite and my little sweetie pie and would rather sit in our laps than eat food. Thank you guys for helping!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom