1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something really weird is happening

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I went out to let the pullets out this morning. I start out by opening the people door and walking in. The coop is divided to where there is a little room as soon as you walk into the building. I have chicken wire dividing the the tack room from them. Anyway, as soon as I walked in I could see that they were all terrified. Normally, they hear my approach and you can hear them jumping off of the roosting limbs and running to the pop door. They watch me get their feeders and I walk back outside. They know I am going to open the pop door at this point. Not this time, they were all huddled in the corner just about beating each other up trying to get to the fartherest part of that corner.

I let them out. They normally come running out in search of their freedom and their feeders. This morning they were real tenative about sticking their head out the door..

Any ideas?

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Trust them. You might take a second look around, maybe even check for tracks.

We had an owl take a songbird the other night right next to my bantam coop. I am sure my little ones heard the commotion outside. . .

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I agree- there is something, somewhere in the coop... or at least there was!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Definitely a predator of some sort, either outside or INside the coop. Check around, and GOOD LUCK finding the intruder!!

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Or UNDER the coop... look for holes and tunnels too!

6. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If possible-try to go out tomorrow earlier than you did today-if it's a certain pattern that the possible predator takes than it's probably going to be around the same time-you might be able to see it (or shoot it or smash it with a shovel) If you're home today than keep checking on them. I'd be spooked and prepare myself to go to bat for them. Good luck!!

7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Chickens not running out to eat, man something had them spooked. I hope you figure out what it is real soon. We have had to kill two foxes in the last couple of months but I lost several hens sitting on biddies at night before we got them. Some of my birds free range, the ones I can't catch anyway.

Is your coop close enough that you could use baby monitors to listen in and hear whats going on or a carera. Then you might have a chance to catch whatever has them scared. Good luck, I know how scared my babies were when Mr. and Mrs. fox showed up. Let us know if you figure out the mystery.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

tonight after their all ta bed, clear out a spot by brushing the shavings and things towards the walls,, spread out some flour,, could do the same thing outside in front of their door.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You may be able to prevent a serious attack. Check everything- under bedding, seams, eaves, possible tunnels. Your hens have doubtless been scoped by something ready to come back.

10. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:What is the flour for? Track marks [​IMG] School me Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by