Something that looks like it should be on the inside is on the outside!

judsenn

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2012
My few hour old turkey poult has something bulging from, what looks like to me, the butt. When it peeps it looks like it pushes out more, then sucks back in. It's red in color. It was bleeding when it first hatched, but no longer is now...just pinkish red. I can't tell if it's from the butt or vent or could it even be the naval? It is still in the incubator so i can't get a GOOD look, i just know something doesn't look right. ANYONE?

Maybe a prolapsed rectum. If it were my baby I would get some KY Jelly or Vaseline (softened) and I would lube it up and try to push it back in. I have seen this in some birds at work (I am a vet tech) and that seemed to help. Remember though - if it dries, it dies. So even if you can't push it back in right away, keep it lubed or the tissue will dry out and die.

but i can't tell if its the butt or belly button...now that im looking harder, it looks to be the belly where the yolk absorbs.

but i can't tell if its the butt or belly button...now that im looking harder, it looks to be the belly where the yolk absorbs.

To me it's sounds like it's yolk sac was not fully absorbed, I had a few hatch like that a month ago. I seperated the chicks from all the others, so it didn't get picked on and kept it in the brooder on a wet paper towel. Eventually it dried up and they are doing great now!
I have heard of some ppl to try and push them back in...and I always hear sad endings, let it dry and absorb on it's own.

Last edited:
There is only this one left. :( so no worries about anyone else pecking at it. With more research that I am doing it sounds like what you said too...not fully absorbed yolk. Actually it just looks like the opening never closed with just a tiny bit left to absorb. I have her laying on a warm towel because she looked like she was cold...shivering (the temp is at 99) and then on top of that i laid a warm soaked paper towel near her rear. So as of right now shes laying on a moist paper towel. She still is chirping and kicking her feet around but still can't stand or even hold her head up. (Fully hatched at 3pm, so only 3 hours in, i don't expect her to be up in moving yet, right?) I just dread checking on her and having her be dead. She's my only survivor. I'm not attempting to push anything back in...sounds like i would make things worse. I'm hoping and praying tomorrow morning I'll wake up to that buldge being gone and her running around. Fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom