something to Share for Quail Coop

Tomqhill

Chirping
Jun 18, 2020
Quail Coop Keeper (Version 1.1) or QCK'er
find my self working too much and associated stress - my wife suggested I find some sort of hobby to keep me busy instead of TV (I had Finished Game of Thrones ) Being in Minnesota and the weather turning into fall - I decided I will need to something for the Quail coop - timer for light - and something to keep water liquid. Ummmmm - sounds simple but, what could I do to make it..... more - (what would Tim Allen do????)
Raspberry Pi - dual temperature probes, lighting control - low wattage heat lamps... thought I would share the project - and see if anybody has done anything like this?

thanks
tom

Attachments

• the coop project.pdf
    595.5 KB · Views: 37
That's an impressive smart coop!

I'm keeping buttons indoors and we don't get a huge amount of natural light, so have set up hue bulbs to fade in with sunrise and out with sunset. The next step I'm attempting is getting a raspberry pi and trying to sync up the light brightness and temperature with the weather outside.

Quail Coop Keeper (Version 1.1) or QCK'er
find my self working too much and associated stress - my wife suggested I find some sort of hobby to keep me busy instead of TV (I had Finished Game of Thrones ) Being in Minnesota and the weather turning into fall - I decided I will need to something for the Quail coop - timer for light - and something to keep water liquid. Ummmmm - sounds simple but, what could I do to make it..... more - (what would Tim Allen do????)
Raspberry Pi - dual temperature probes, lighting control - low wattage heat lamps... thought I would share the project - and see if anybody has done anything like this?

thanks
tom
an update.. SE Minnesota is -13 c or -18 c with wind chill
keeping the two sides of the coop at just above 0 and -1 c.. had to add some plastic the wind was brutal.. - however I noticed the Quail just seem to congregate in the center there is plastic blocking the wind but not supplemental heat - think what will be ok?
1608783892033.png

I'm so impressed! I bought an hour ago a cheap thermometer/ humidity monitor to keep an eye on them and I can't understand how it works 😂. It's winter here with an amazing weather though ( 8-14C) and I've wrapped them up as they were my children's first day at kindergarten 🤣(only at night for now). Humidity outside is 95%. I suppose that must be bad right?

Back
Top Bottom