Something wrong with chicks legs

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
Hi guys. So my chicks are a little over a week old now and my two chicks with sprayed leg leg’s just won’t straighten out. I’m worried a might’ve done something wrong that I won’t be able to fix. Pip (yellow one in pictures) her legs are slowly getting straight but not all the way straight yet, the other is the one I’m more concerned about. One of Ozzy’s legs is perfect in the right position and everything but the other is turned way out. I’ve just been using bandaids as a brace. He can’t even stand up on the leg either. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I feel so bad 😭 especially because I didn’t notice earlier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 16
Oh yeah forgot to add nothing else is wrong with them they both eat and drink fine it’s just their legs. They’ve also been separated from their siblings since hatch

The left leg looks either like a rotated tibia or valgus deformity. Neither condition is usually successfully treated. I would let him try to learn how to get around with his disability. Some chicks may need to be culled or can starve from not being able to get enough food and water. Here is some reading about leg bone deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

The left leg looks either like a rotated tibia or valgus deformity. Neither condition is usually successfully treated. I would let him try to learn how to get around with his disability. Some chicks may need to be culled or can starve from not being able to get enough food and water. Here is some reading about leg bone deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers
Thank you so much. Do you think it’s my fault? Maybe I bandaged it wrong? Because if you look at the pictures of the yellow chick it looks like she has it a little too.

Did you hatch this chicks? Slipped tendon is another common leg problem with chicks. That is where the hock tendon gets out of place. But I am pretty sure Ozzy’s leg is a leg bone deformity. You can try the splinting, but I don’t think it will help. I would tend to let him be and try getting around on his own. The other chick may need to have a chicken sling chair to get up and in front of food and water.

Did you hatch this chicks? Slipped tendon is another common leg problem with chicks. That is where the hock tendon gets out of place. But I am pretty sure Ozzy’s leg is a leg bone deformity. You can try the splinting, but I don’t think it will help. I would tend to let him be and try getting around on his own. The other chick may need to have a chicken sling chair to get up and in front of food and water.
I did hatch them. I never noticed it before today when I was inspecting all the chicks. So I should just watch him and see how he does without the braces? What is a chicken sling chair? Do you think it hurts him at all to have his leg like that?

image.jpg
I was also noticing that his left leg joint is more swelled up than the other. Is that ok? Maybe that means it’s something that can be fixed? I don’t have money for the vet... I’m only 14 and I know my mom won’t want to pay for it. So is there anything I can do at home?

Or maybe it just looks more swelled up to me, I don’t really know. Tell me what you think

So I have another question (if anyone ever answers 😂) I put my yellow chick with the other big chicks because her legs were better, is it ok if they peck at her? She also does not want to be in there she wants to be back with Ozzy so should I put her back? He seems a little sad too... I only moved her because she was too big for the box. She likes to jump with her “new legs” and she keeps knocking over the water. The other chicks are so much bigger than her and they’re being so aggressive :( She keeps staring at me when I peek at her like she wants me to take her out.

Also Ozzy seems pretty melancholy today so I’m still worried his leg might be hurting him. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom