Something wrong with duckling

Mahon

Hatching
Apr 20, 2021
Just went to close the door to the barn amd we have ducklings in a closed in pen inside of the barn. One of the 4 week old.ducklings just ran around in crazy circles and flopped on its back. I picked it up and had to hold its head up. After a few minutes she seemed to hold her head on her own and just sat on my lap. When I put her back down in the pen, she doesnt want to walk and seems to be unsteady. This lasted a few minutes, then she walked around fine. I told my husband and he said she seemed unsteady last night, but was then fine after a few min. Any thoughts?

I would get her some vitamin B complex Incase she’s deficient in niacin or thiamin. You might also want to get some poultry nutri-drench or sav-a-chick if you can find it for any of the other vitamins and minerals.

It can take a day or several days at times to see improvement, if her symptoms worsen however it could be something else, possible viral, bacterial, or fungal.

I did have a duck who had similar behavior that worsened as he got older, he was always uncoordinated and had balance issues that turned out to be an inner ear problem, he was a special needs Drake but a happy special needs Drake. He always walked like he was plastered drunk but surprisingly he learned to turn his disability into an advantage, when he ran it was this crazy perpetual high speed fall forward and he could turn on a dime!

Back
Top Bottom