Something wrong with eggs

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I have 5 RIRs. They are 6 months old. All were laying, daily. Yesterday, I only got 4 eggs. No biggie, I thought.
Went out to collect eggs and clean the coop this morning and found 1, thin-shelled egg (frozen) under the roost, and what seemed to be a frozen, broken bit of egg (soft-shelled) mixed in with the poops.
Then I went into the run and found a very tiny, soft egg that broke open when I picked it up.
I don't know which of my girls is having trouble, or what I should do. They are still on start and grow feed, and I give them a tiny bit of scratch and BOSS in the evening. They have grit and oyster shell in a separate dish. Maybe I should sprinkle some of that on the ground?
20220107_094824.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. It. Might be worth mentioning that it was a couple days ago that one of my girls layer an extra large egg. It had a single, very large yolk
You're welcome.

I've had it happen. Usually when mine start out laying like that I get jumbo, & colossal eggs from those girls.

I have 5 RIRs. They are 6 months old. All were laying, daily. Yesterday, I only got 4 eggs. No biggie, I thought.
Went out to collect eggs and clean the coop this morning and found 1, thin-shelled egg (frozen) under the roost, and what seemed to be a frozen, broken bit of egg (soft-shelled) mixed in with the poops.
Then I went into the run and found a very tiny, soft egg that broke open when I picked it up.
I don't know which of my girls is having trouble, or what I should do. They are still on start and grow feed, and I give them a tiny bit of scratch and BOSS in the evening. They have grit and oyster shell in a separate dish. Maybe I should sprinkle some of that on the ground?
Hello, this happens every once in awhile. What causes it is the lack of calcium in the hens diet. Having a separate dish is fine with the oyster shell but try mixing it with their food. You can give them the oyster shell, crushed calcium, powdered egg shells, plain yogurt and cheese.

Thank you. They are in separate dishes. I wasn't very clear on that. I will sprinkle with egg shells on the ground. Do I need to prepare the shells in any way? Baking? What do you think about calcium carbonate? Too soon for that? If recommended, do I crush it before offering it? They are pretty big
Granite grit and OS mixed in the same dish?
If so, best to separate them.
Might mix crushed chicken egg shells in with the OS.
..and yes sprinkling some OS on the ground can help get them interested.

Do I need to prepare the shells in any way? Baking?
I just rinse and air dry, then crush.

What do you think about calcium carbonate?
Calcium Citrate with Vit D is best.
Hard to get it in them, IME.
Some pull the wattles down, pop the whole pill in the mouth and they swallow.
Some crush it and put in a small amount of something they'll eat up.

Back
Top Bottom