Something wrong with my Australorp. Please help!!!

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
I have a couple of questions about my Australorp. She is 5 and a half months old. The three other chickens I got her with(2 ameraucana's and 1 SLW) are already laying. But she isn't. Do Australorps take longer to lay???
Also, I have seen her mounting one of the SLW she grew up with. But she is not Crowing and she looks like the perfect Australorp hen. What's wrong with her???? I am really disappointed because out of all the breeds I have she would hypothetically be the best layer (if she were laying). And I don't want her to hurt my SLW by mounting her.
Thanks in advance,
Zoë

The mounting thing could just be dominance. Hopefully! I've heard that certain breeds take longer to lay than others. But Australorps should start laying between 20-22 weeks though some people say 24-28 weeks. Give her a bit longer?

I agree that the mounting is a dominance thing. I have 4 breeds.....Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Black Australorps. Of my 12 hens, I have one black that is often mounting other hens. She's at the top of the pecking order and wants to let the other girls know it! All 5 of my Black O's are good layers. Give her time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom