Something wrong with my chicken's eye???

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
My 1 year old australorp hen has something wrong with her eye. I noticed last night it looked strange, in the inner corner part it looked like something milky yellow white looking was in there or like it was some kind of eyelid (that sounded crazy but don't know how else to describe it). It is just that one eye, her other eyes is fine. Today, she has just been sitting on the roost and won't hardly open that eye. She has no other symptoms she just isn't wanting to do anything I guess because she can only see with one eye. What could be wrong and what should I do?

THIS IS HER GOOD EYE (BELOW)

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TODAY, NOT LEAKING ANYTHING FROM WHAT I SEE BUT LOOKS WHITISH AROUND THE EYE KIND OF.

she might have been pecked or got something in her eye. I have been treating a brahma pullet for the same thing. my vet told me to give her doxycycline for 40 days and to put eye drops that contain tetracycline (2 drops every 8 hours). I cleaned her eye so many times, there were pieces of hard cheese like puss. she has been better now (after 4 weeks) but her eye is still closed. I rescued her when she had a swollen eye for about a week, so if you start to treat your hen now there is a chance you cure her. (my vet suspected a respiratory issue that is why he advised 40 days treatment.)

Back
Top Bottom