Something you don't see often

Yes, fighting is common in many parts of the world, and more accepted in some than others. I don't doubt it has influenced the chicken gene pool. Are they good layers? I feel like slender birds tend to be better layers than meat birds.
They lay a couple of dozen medium sized eggs before going broody. Then they will mother the chicks for months before laying again. So not great if you want lots of eggs!

I have an Aseel hen and have had various aseels over the years. They are not the easiest breed to keep to be honest (which is why I have only kept one long term)! EXTREMELY aggressive, they hate to be confined and can be very noisy. But they make excellent mothers. They will brood and brood and there is no breaking them, and they will defend those chicks like no other breed. Very hard to keep in a mixed flock but they are beautiful, sort of goose like.

Here is my Aseel hen, Treacle:
Wow she is beautiful. Im surprised to see anyone else here with aseels. Yes they are aggressive even the small chicks try to fight lol.

They lay a couple of dozen medium sized eggs before going broody. Then they will mother the chicks for months before laying again. So not great if you want lots of eggs!
What should I do with these eggs because it will take time to lay a couple dozen. Should I leave them in the nest? For how many days?

What should I do with these eggs because it will take time to lay a couple dozen. Should I leave them in the nest? For how many days?

If you want to hatch eggs with her you should collect however many you want (say 6), then every time you get one more you remove the oldest one and replace it with the newest one. Mark dates on the ends with pencil so you dont get mixed up. You shouldn't really try to hatch more than a dozen so there will be a few extras to eat. Don't leave them in the nest because they could spoil or be damaged. It's best to leave a dummy egg like a plastic egg or even a store bought egg that you change every few days to keep it from going rotten. Leaving one egg in the nest can encourage broodiness. It doesn't have to be more than one.

Wow she is beautiful. Im surprised to see anyone else here with aseels. Yes they are aggressive even the small chicks try to fight lol.

Yep I once had a couple of four week old males fight. And not just normal pecking order scrapping. This was relentless and potentially lethal fighting, so they had to be separated from not only each other but their mother who they were still very much attached to. It was hard on everyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom