Something you don't see often

Aisha3789

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
I am thinking that not too many of you might have an Aseel pullet running around in your flock. They are the long legged chickens I have ever seen. These are probably one of the most common pure breeds here in Pakistan. She is still a baby about 3 - 4 months old but as tall as my rooster lol. She looks black but in the sun she is purple and green shimmery.
20180401_181617.jpg

Thank you for sharing! It's always interesting to see what breeds are common in other parts of the world. Why do you think the aseel is suited to your country/environment? I know a thin chicken with long legs like that probably wouldn't do too well with the long winters where I live and I have much heavier bodied birds.

Thank you for sharing! It's always interesting to see what breeds are common in other parts of the world. Why do you think the aseel is suited to your country/environment? I know a thin chicken with long legs like that probably wouldn't do too well with the long winters where I live and I have much heavier bodied birds.
I'm not sure really why they are common here. But maybe it's because they are known as fighters. I don't fight mine but most people do. People bet on them and hold matches and stuff...very sad. But it does get pretty cold here it has the same climate is North Florida.

I'm not sure really why they are common here. But maybe it's because they are known as fighters. I don't fight mine but most people do. People bet on them and hold matches and stuff...very sad. But it does get pretty cold here it has the same climate is North Florida.

Yes, fighting is common in many parts of the world, and more accepted in some than others. I don't doubt it has influenced the chicken gene pool. Are they good layers? I feel like slender birds tend to be better layers than meat birds.

Yes, fighting is common in many parts of the world, and more accepted in some than others. I don't doubt it has influenced the chicken gene pool. Are they good layers? I feel like slender birds tend to be better layers than meat birds.
I really don't know much about them actually. She is my first one..... we will soon find out :)

I have an Aseel hen and have had various aseels over the years. They are not the easiest breed to keep to be honest (which is why I have only kept one long term)! EXTREMELY aggressive, they hate to be confined and can be very noisy. But they make excellent mothers. They will brood and brood and there is no breaking them, and they will defend those chicks like no other breed. Very hard to keep in a mixed flock but they are beautiful, sort of goose like.

Here is my Aseel hen, Treacle:

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170506_0006.png
    wp_ss_20170506_0006.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom