something you need to know

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
If you live in a rural area and want to maintain God's country.

When you shop where ever you shop and they ask for your zip code. DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM.

They are looking to see whether it would be viable to build a Walmart in your back yard.

When I'm asked I just say no. No phone number or address for anything. I won't lie and don't think I should have to. Funny thing is they can't get to the next screen unless they put something in there is seems, cuz they type something and move on. I could be wrong.

So what brought this on? A yahoo thingy about Target tracking information and being able to tell who is expecting or not. Plus other personal stuff.

Well I've got news for them. If they start sending coupons for baby stuff they are in for a big surprise. See the thing is I just bought a whole bunch of stuff for my grandchildren.
lol.png

And if they send coupons for this stuff to my wife she's gonna have some explaining to do.
gig.gif

I do what I did years ago to a drunk that kept asking me out. I finally gave him "my" number, but it was the number to the local police department.

Good to know - thanks! I dropped some dry cleaning off a couple of weeks ago and wound up really peeved at the info they asked me. Okay, name, and phone number, I get. But when they asked for my address it really didn't seem relevent since I drop off and pick up the clothes. She said "it's so we can mail you out special offers". "No thank you". So, we went on and she wanted to know "spouse's name", "SSN", "date of birth", "email address" and on and on it went. I just kept telling her "you don't need that information" to everything she asked, but it didn't seem to deter her - she just kept asking the questions. I left the clothes there and picked them up a few days later but I will NOT be going back.

I understand your hesitance BUT it is probably not the cashiers choice to ask all those questions. The companies are asking the employees to gather all this info and tracking what kind of numbers and percentage the individual cashiers gather and it can mean the difference between being written up or worse. So next time don't think of the person asking for the info as intrusive he/she may be trying to keep their job.

You do not have to volunteer to give that information.

HEChicken, are you for real? Asking for SSN? Oh boy, I would tell them NO! Unless they are the police or tax investigator!

Sometimes they need the zip to verify your credit card is your card. I also know at lowes, they use your phone number to make doing a return faster as their system is set up using phone numbers to look up orders etc. But asking for a SSN is WAY out of line, they're probably looking to set up a credit card for themselves under your info!

Sometimes they need the zip to verify your credit card is your card. I also know at lowes, they use your phone number to make doing a return faster as their system is set up using phone numbers to look up orders etc. But asking for a SSN is WAY out of line, they're probably looking to set up a credit card for themselves under your info!

Usually when I'm asked for my zip (for example at TSC) it is while they are ringing up stuff - before they even know how I'm going to pay. The only time I've been asked for my zip to verify a credit card is pumping gas - and then it is asked by the machine, not a cashier. In the case of the dry cleaners, they asked all these questions while I was dropping the clothes off so they certainly had no way of knowing at that time how I was going to pay. The only reason I even left them there at all after the amount of info they asked for, was that I was using a Groupon for it and had already paid for the Groupon.

Last edited:
" I prefer not to answer" Use that all the time at Cabelas when I'm buyin bullets and fishin' stuff. When they want to send out special offers, I ask if I can apply some to this purchase. I think they have a "no response" button or else they just enter the zip for the store. I think this info is all fed to the belly of the beast and is marketed to various demographic research consultants including the ones Wal Mart uses. My brother used to work for one, amazing and scary what info he could look up on me given my name and zip code.

Back
Top Bottom