Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Pics
May 2, 2020
Eastern Michigan
We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!

To the OP, I can't imagine why you'd be denied one of the most useful yard tools in existence -- the pitchfork/manure fork. I had one for my garden long before I even got my first chickens. I use it for handling garden mulch, turning compost, and moving the fall leaves after my teens have raked them into piles.

They're not expensive as tools go -- can you buy one with your own money?

As for a chicken keeping thing that I'd like,

I want a metal, single-car carport to use as a secure run. I want the metal poles because they're immune to termites, carpenter ants, and the power-composting action of deep litter in a hot, wet climate. I want the carport because it's big enough to either keep one large flock or divide into sections for 2 or more small flocks and tall enough to easily walk into.

Finally, it would be a lot faster to convert the carport by adding the hardware cloth than to have DH build a similar-sized structure.

We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
Well, a even if you used a pitchfork you'd still probably have to use the broom.
You mean they won't buy it for you? Buy it yourself.
No need to 'scrub' anything.

but a pressure washer for our coops
Nooooo!!!

Really recommend against that. Is your coop wood? DRY is key for a coop, not to get it surface clean according to human standards.
Ditto Dat x100!

Back
Top Bottom