Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

As for a chicken keeping thing that I'd like,

I want a metal, single-car carport to use as a secure run. I want the metal poles because they're immune to termites, carpenter ants, and the power-composting action of deep litter in a hot, wet climate. I want the carport because it's big enough to either keep one large flock or divide into sections for 2 or more small flocks and tall enough to easily walk into.

Finally, it would be a lot faster to convert the carport by adding the hardware cloth than to have DH build a similar-sized structure.

Yeah I wish I'd thought of getting a carport back before I built the run. Once I saw someone post theirs on here, I thought it was brilliant and certainly cheaper than the run I had installed sans roof. And I guess in the future you could park cars under it if you didn't have chickens?

To the OP, I can't imagine why you'd be denied one of the most useful yard tools in existence -- the pitchfork/manure fork. I had one for my garden long before I even got my first chickens. I use it for handling garden mulch, turning compost, and moving the fall leaves after my teens have raked them into piles.

They're not expensive as tools go -- can you buy one with your own money?

As for a chicken keeping thing that I'd like,

I want a metal, single-car carport to use as a secure run. I want the metal poles because they're immune to termites, carpenter ants, and the power-composting action of deep litter in a hot, wet climate. I want the carport because it's big enough to either keep one large flock or divide into sections for 2 or more small flocks and tall enough to easily walk into.

Finally, it would be a lot faster to convert the carport by adding the hardware cloth than to have DH build a similar-sized structure.
Why ask you’re DH? Become a independent handywoman... do it yourself.

Why ask you’re DH? Become a independent handywoman... do it yourself.

Because I'm too small to do the work effectively, because I have arthritis in my wrists, and because he's much better at framing than I am.

If we needed tile work done or had to mud drywall that would be my job, but we each have our specialties. He doesn't make me do large-scale carpentry, I don't ask him to fiddle with tile. :D

It can be anything, and y’all want pitchforks, power washers, and lottery tickets?
  • Chicken “Frontline” product—put one drop on their shoulders every few months, and no mites or lice, ever (if this already exists, please direct me to it).
  • Reliable hawk-repellent.
  • Cures for those diseases that won’t go away, like Marek’s and Mycoplasma.
  • Instant DNA sexing test.
  • Instant DNA sexing tests…for EGGS.
  • Perfect coop flooring mats: easy to clean, has good grip, doesn't off-gas terrible rubber fumes, etc.
  • Drug to chill out cranky cockerels until they mature, like rooster Xanax.
Eh?

All I want is for somebody to invent an actual, real, effective, crow-stopping device. Not some choker that MAY "reduce the volume". No, something to just stop all crowing altogether, forever. So many roosters would get to actually live out their lives if such a thing existed...

By the way, you can use a kids' snow shovel for the coop. Short handle that won't hit the walls as you turn around, narrow enough to go around and between things but wide enough for you to get a good scoop with.

1597115204757.png

I also have a kids' rake, and a kids' push broom, for use in the coop. All are very convenient to use in a small space, and are not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom