Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Pics
Battery lights so when I go to my coop in the dark I can see. It’s too far away from the house for electricity. A way to store water down there and keep it fresh bc it’s also too far to run a hose.
Try something like these! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B8TCVGL/

We don't have power in our chicken yard, so I've hung these on little nails on the coops and fence posts. If I forget to bring a flashlight to go into a coop after dark, I just grab one and flip it into "always on" mode.

Lol, our rake is quite large, 2 large for the coop.
I use a little landscaping rake that has a full length handle, but the rake is only about 8" wide. I use to scratch up the sand In the run and move shavings around in the coop. Single best tool I've found and it was less than $20.

I designed our coop to have a panel on th e back that comes off - I use the rake or a push broom to sweep the coop out down to the linoleum floor. The coop is elevated so I can sweep right into a wheelbarrow and head to the compost pile.

We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
I had my husband frame out under 2 x 4 lumber around all the roost bars and then I filled it with PDZ stall refresher. It's like kitty litter but for horse stalls to dry out and deodorize manure. I then go in every morning and scoop the PDZ just like kitty litter. It's the BEST THING EVER!!!!!!

We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
Don't ASK for a pitchfork. Just get one. But seriously, check out my post below. It has been a lifesaver!

Can't you be trusted with sharp objects? How about a snow shovel.

I bought a cheap tarp and cut to fit the floor when it is time for a total scrubbing grab the edge and pull it out the door! Reuse or throw it out I use mine for about 2 years you can rotate them and hose off if needed also let it dry in the sun.

It can be anything, and y’all want pitchforks, power washers, and lottery tickets?
  • Chicken “Frontline” product—put one drop on their shoulders every few months, and no mites or lice, ever (if this already exists, please direct me to it).
  • Reliable hawk-repellent.
  • Cures for those diseases that won’t go away, like Marek’s and Mycoplasma.
  • Instant DNA sexing test.
  • Instant DNA sexing tests…for EGGS.
  • Perfect coop flooring mats: easy to clean, has good grip, doesn't off-gas terrible rubber fumes, etc.
  • Drug to chill out cranky cockerels until they mature, like rooster Xanax.
Eh?
Yes, Yes, Yes to all the above!

I want a person that will clean the coop, let the chickens into the run in the morning, put them in at night, refill their waterer, and clean their poop board. Or a robot, actually a robot might be easier to get.

I want a robot, or person, that will do all the chicken chores. Has that been invented yet? I would pay top dollar, my lazy bum is impossible to get out of bed in the morning, and that’s coming from me. And I want them to buy more chickens, and build a bigger coop and run for those new chickens.

That is what I want. A very fancy robot.
I am not a morning person, either. My hubby put in an electric door from the hen house to the run that opens in the morning with the early light and closes in the evening just before sunset. Works great! Only had to go out and put a chicken or 6 in a couple of times before they learned.

Back
Top Bottom