Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

HollyWoozle

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Mealworms/seeds/treats of some sort which come dosed with wormer for the average-sized chicken, so you just give each chicken a treat and that's their worming done. Here in the UK we only have Flubenvet which is either a powder you mix in their food for a week or you can buy pellets with the wormer already in them. I don't think it's the most effective way and ideally you need to keep the chickens locked up for a full week with only the dosed food to get the benefit.

Sydney65

Songster
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
A shop vac that wouldn't expel dust & wouldn't clog. Just think how easy cleaning would be then!

3KillerBs

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
A way to store water down there and keep it fresh bc it’s also too far to run a hose.
*Looks at our arrangment of multiple, 100-foot hoses with manifolds and connectors to get water to different places*

We do plan on running water to both the chicken house and the orchard -- once the house is in place and we can lay out the rest of the facilities.

PS -- NEVER buy cheap hose. ;)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
That’s a LOT of scoops, even if doing only half the bag until you can lift it.
Eh, it's not a big deal, takes maybe 10 minutes.
My scoops are made from quart juice jugs.

I use a little landscaping rake that has a full length handle, but the rake is only about 8" wide.
That's what I use to stir up the shavings daily. Use a small snow shovel(meant to keep in car) to remove shavings twice a year....it fit right into a feed bag.

PS -- NEVER buy cheap hose.
I splurged on good rubber hoses 10-15 years ago, never regretted the cost.
Still in great shape today, but I rarely leave them out in the sun full time.

Chickle2014

Songster
6 Years
Jun 29, 2014
Galesburg, IL
Removable coop floor! Like a huge slide-out tray for a floor! Then cleaning would be almost as easy as cleaning a bird cage! Just slide out the floor, spray it clean, and put it back! (Then again, I also often wonder why I don't figure up a system to just line the floor.
I swear, liners are a way to go! I used to use bedding in my brooder, and after a while, moisture and odor clung to the brooder even after cleaning. I started using liners at the bottom and putting bedding on top- the liner absorbs the moisture and there is no odor.
My husband made a “Poop Drawer” a drawer under the roosts that slides out to make cleaning easier. It is awesome!

Top Bottom