Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Pics
Mealworms/seeds/treats of some sort which come dosed with wormer for the average-sized chicken, so you just give each chicken a treat and that's their worming done. Here in the UK we only have Flubenvet which is either a powder you mix in their food for a week or you can buy pellets with the wormer already in them. I don't think it's the most effective way and ideally you need to keep the chickens locked up for a full week with only the dosed food to get the benefit.

We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
A shop vac that wouldn't expel dust & wouldn't clog. Just think how easy cleaning would be then!

A way to store water down there and keep it fresh bc it’s also too far to run a hose.

*Looks at our arrangment of multiple, 100-foot hoses with manifolds and connectors to get water to different places*

We do plan on running water to both the chicken house and the orchard -- once the house is in place and we can lay out the rest of the facilities.

PS -- NEVER buy cheap hose. ;)

That’s a LOT of scoops, even if doing only half the bag until you can lift it.
Eh, it's not a big deal, takes maybe 10 minutes.
My scoops are made from quart juice jugs.

I use a little landscaping rake that has a full length handle, but the rake is only about 8" wide.
That's what I use to stir up the shavings daily. Use a small snow shovel(meant to keep in car) to remove shavings twice a year....it fit right into a feed bag.

PS -- NEVER buy cheap hose.
I splurged on good rubber hoses 10-15 years ago, never regretted the cost.
Still in great shape today, but I rarely leave them out in the sun full time.

Removable coop floor! Like a huge slide-out tray for a floor! Then cleaning would be almost as easy as cleaning a bird cage! Just slide out the floor, spray it clean, and put it back! (Then again, I also often wonder why I don't figure up a system to just line the floor.
I swear, liners are a way to go! I used to use bedding in my brooder, and after a while, moisture and odor clung to the brooder even after cleaning. I started using liners at the bottom and putting bedding on top- the liner absorbs the moisture and there is no odor.
My husband made a “Poop Drawer” a drawer under the roosts that slides out to make cleaning easier. It is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom