Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Pics
My husband made a “Poop Drawer” a drawer under the roosts that slides out to make cleaning easier. It is awesome!
Would love to see this @Chickle2014 ...have never seen one that actually worked.
Am assuming you've had it for a few years or more?

Still in great shape today, but I rarely leave them out in the sun full time.

We'd rather replace hose every couple years than continually unroll and re-roll all that hose so we only take them up for the few months of the year when we can expect temps below freezing.

The plan for this property is to bury lines. We'll lay it all out in hose, make sure the access points are right, then rent a ditcher to dig it all and install pipes and frost-free stanchions.

Two thing.
1- good for you for wanting to be independent!
2- physical strength is fleeting and only one part of being a “strong” person.
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders from what I can infer by reading your responses. You will do just fine!
Regarding my comment on physical strength. It seems a common sense thing, but life can really mess with you. I threw out my back at 14 showing off chopping wood. I was always very fit and exceptionally strong. I would get either outright accused of, or rumors behind my back, that I’m either on steroids or actually a guy. Wow! People are so weird! Now though, I can’t even carry the dog food out of the car much less up the stairs. I don’t know if my back injury is to blame or not, but my legs have gotten so weak it’s difficult to just walk at times.
Thank you!
I want to be a politician😉
As for mental strength, I have that as well, but usually I push all the bad things to the back of my mind, and keep going.

As for weird people, tell me about it, were nesseled deep in the country.

I’ve seen a few people post that article on here, and I can say for sure it isn’t factual. That whole blog is full of stuff you would hear around Facebook. I wouldn’t trust them ever, not for anything that requires basic scientific knowledge that is. Just another homesteader wishing to share the things they heard around town, nothing new. All of the blogs are a bit annoying when you are trying to find sources, but you can’t stop someone who thinks they uncovered whether or not the world exists.

Edit: there was someone else who posted that same article awhile back, and it turned into us laughing about hatching crocs from chicken eggs. And giving birth to zebras by living in a climate controlled room for all of your pregnancy. Long story short, that blog post is like someone saying you can grow money by planting a tomato in 35 degree Celsius dirt.
OMG,
THANK YOU! I was so glad to read this! We have a website. It's our own that we designed years ago. I sell antiques, but we have lots of photos of our flock, our little 18thc. home that we completely DIY restored on a budget for 20 years, and our gardens, etc. CAN'T STAND that woman or her blog! We'll put up a photo of our ducks in little red scarves I made, a garden or house photo, or some recipe I made for dinner, and magically, within a couple days that woman has purloined our ideas, and put up something too startlingly similar too be coincidental. Big fat phony! JMO.

In my little 4-chicken tractor I find a pitchfork is fast, easy and effective in removing the bedding. I use my own timothy straw mostly. After the pitchfork gets most out, I use a short handled hoe for the rest.

I wish someone would event something to get rid of all the stuck on POOP!!!!!.
Cleaning off the perches, layer boxes and their watering containers . We also built these cute little picnic tables to feed them in, dang if they don't poop in them and i have to clean them out before laying their feed down.

Attachments

• D34098FA-6F57-4143-9C70-FF42237C546D.jpeg
    D34098FA-6F57-4143-9C70-FF42237C546D.jpeg
    962.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 58ABD6F0-3487-4BEB-B10B-00386F42588C.jpeg
    58ABD6F0-3487-4BEB-B10B-00386F42588C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom