Somethings wrong... Can you help me? Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mom2many, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mom2many

mom2many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a 2-3 month old girl that was out with my bigger ladies but they decided to nit like her [​IMG] She ended up getting pecked and having a wound on her neck. I brought her in and placed her in the brooder with my other 2 younger babies. They got along fine and it all seemed to be working out. She was healing and they were happy [​IMG] But about a week later on of my other 2 babied got sick and died over night. The next day my 2-3 month old was sick too. I helped her to the water and food dish every hour and kept her under the light (where she wanted to be) I posted on here about it and was recommended that I put her and my other chick on medication. It really helped she is no longer lethargic and is wide awake as well as the other chick. My problem now is she cant stand or walk. She holds her wings funny (Kinda straight up instead of resting them on her side) I have her in a little box so she wont tip over and can sit up and eat and drink but she is not improving. She can hold her head up and seems to have control over on leg but the other leg seems to have a mind of its own and is constantly crossing over the other one causing her to fall down. I dont know what to do. We dont have a vet that sees chickens around here.

My questions are:
    1. What wrong?
    2. What can I do to help her?
    3. How can I prevent this from happening again?
    4. Will she ever recover?
    5. Any other thoughts or advise...

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I wish I had an answer.... It sounds like it is contagious, weakness can cause the lack of leg use. What antibiotic was she on?

3. mom2many

mom2many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Never mind she died today [​IMG] Poor thing after a week of being so sick. I may next do chicks again this is just to much!!! I bought 5 and had 1 dead on arrival one died with it head in the water dish... not sure what she was doing or how she did it. and then these two. Down to 2 mommas and 1 chick. What am I doing wrong!? I never had any problems with my ducks! (I used a chicken water dish with them) My poor kids [​IMG] [​IMG] dont know what to do.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    give them electrolyte solution in there water it will give them a vitamin boost and boosts there immune system, it may help . I have had chickens that responded quite well to added vitamins in their diet, seemed close to death, then with a few days of added vitamins came back to life. of course this will only work if there is not an underlying serious illness at hand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by