Somethings wrong with my chicken....depression?

Ashley & Donna Dame

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2017
Hi all,
Looking for some advice. We have quite a few chickens and have been raising them for almost 2 years now. One of our bantam cochins went broody this past summer, but had no eggs. So I put another cochin egg under her and she hatched it. The next morning when I went out the chick was beside her dead, and she hasn't been the same since. Now shes very small, eating and drinking very little and sleeping all the time. I have her inside in a cool room (so not to shock her system) and she has eaten a bit and cranks some but it seems now on day 3 shes sleeping even more. I've checked her for mites, her crop, her vent etc, nothing seems wrong except shes thin and listless. Please help. I'm trying to get electrolytes in her but I cant keep her awake long enough to get it in her.

I don't think its depression. I also do not claim to be DR. Phil for chickens. I just think that your chickens' health is deteriorating at a rapid pace. Is the rest of your flock well???
You may just have to accept the sad outcome.:hugs
Maybe someone else here has some advice that you did not try yet.
WISHING YOU BEST.........................:hugs

I had a pullet that went a bit like that, I thought she was ill or ailing with something.
What I did was get some chicken vitamins online and I added them to the food and drink, in a matter of a few days she bucked up and was joining in with the flock scratching about.
Your hen could have something wrong I don't know but give it a try it might just buck her up.

aw so sorry, I never saw the above posts when I posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom