sonic bark deterrent for chicken noise?

maggiePI

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
S. Oregon
Anyone know if a sonic bark deterrent would work for chickens when they start their loud rejoicing at their productivity? I worry about my neighbors complaining here intown.

Mine are very loud before and especially after they lay. I have 4 nest boxes and sometimes they really sing!! I love it! If you are close to the hen house it will be louder for you. Take a walk over to your neighbors and check the volume over there. It may surprise you that it really isn.t as loud for them. Then again, I sometimes hear my neighbors chickens, and he lives about 1/2 mile down the road.It's not loud though. Merry

I would think that anything that startles the chickens would really get them to squawking. :eek: How does the sonic thing work?

The sonic deterrent makes a noise that is annoying to dogs. I have read that it can deter barking by about 90% and that if they have a good reason to bark (another dog walking by their space, etc) they will still bark, so it is not cruel like a collar. My OEG hen's are the same distance from my neighbor's door as from mine and they are LOUD when they get going, primarily because they are so shrill. It doesn't bother me, I think it is kinda cute and ridiculous after having heard larger hens all my life, but my neighbor and I are not on especially good terms (first thing they did on moving in was cut down a 10 foot laurel hedge that had been between our property for 20+ years so now they look right into my front door). My chickens are illegal intown and I have constantly changing neighbors who buy and sell to make money on the property - like my closest. I know that talking to them will do no good, I just want my girls to minimize their shrieking. I have a few years left before I can move out of town ( after my son graduates).

Noise probably depends a lot on how many you have. I only have two and they VERY RARELY make any noise that's noticeable from anywhere but right next to them. They do celebrate a bit after laying, but I usually just go out there and say "be QUIET!" and they stop. LOL They're like dogs. Actually, they listen better than my dogs. HAHA. I live in town too and none of my neighbors have ever complained about my girls.

Offering fresh eggs occasionally to your neighbor(s) might be one good way to make them mind any noise a little less.
smile.png

Last edited:
All my girls are pretty quiet except one- Sasha, my millie fleur d'uccle. She stands on the trash can (where I keep their feed) and sqwacks all her life's problems to the world!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom