Soo crows are good right?UPDATE

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Well it looks like a smal fock of crows has moved in a nearby pine grove,they seem to like the wetlands around here.I even saw them chase away a hawk this morning which looked pretty cool.Just wondering if they wil attack my domestic mallards or phoinexes?

Last edited:
I have never seen a crow attack any type of bird. I have seen mockingbirds attack crows but not a crow attack. They will defend their food source but they don't attack like an owl or hawk.

we "have" crows here......been about 5 years. I love them, i have not lost a chicken to a hawk (not even seen one!) in that time. I have heard they will take eggs, kill chickens but I have not seen it myself. A friend has lost some birst to Ravens, they look like a crow but much biggeer.
I do feed the crows bread 1st thing in the morning, they are out thee waiting for me when I go to do chores. they will call to me in a rattling voice, until I throw the bread down then they will wait till I go in the barn to feed before they come get it. they are pretty neat, and I love the fact they keep the crows away!

*edited to add, I do raise several types of bantams. Some I keep some in the barn caged, but I have a flock of about 30 that are retired show birds or PQ that just free range. Dutch, OEGB and cochins (oh, and a few silkies). I was worried about the smaller birds, but so far so good. every once i a while, there is a momma hen out with her chicks, and so far the water troughs are the only thing that gets one or 2 every now and then.

Last edited:
some good, some not....

if they're not doing any harm to your animals, let them stay, they're good hawk chasers...

but if they DO attack your animals, shoot them and let the next family move in...

They'll eat eggs and would maybe try to steal chicks (without a broody around, unsupervised, not caged... If you're doing that with chicks, you're asking for trouble, though!) if they're desperate, but they won't be a threat to any other type of bird, not even bantams.
smile.png
I wouldn't worry about the crows at all! And this is coming from someone who is very knowledgable about crows, as someone who raises a bunch every summer and releases them.

The crows are welcome to stay around my house; as are the slightly larger ravens. They keep a good distance away from my flock, but still close enough to warn the flock of trouble. Crows are territorial. Once they accept the chickens, they protect them as well, just with their predator calls.

Yes, crows are good- up to a point. They will eat other bird eggs and all your pecans; don't know about baby birds. I have always enjoyed them. DH hated them until- he was in the yard one day, saw a hawk swoop down to grab a hen and the crow crew attacked the hawk and drove it away. But you can see the smaller wild birds attacking hawks to defend their nests. Seems that every creature has a place. However, don't get me started on coyotes, starlings, house sparrows, neighbor's dogs...

I say no to crows for the simple fact that they will eat any eggs they can, and I know people who have had chicks killed by them.

Back
Top Bottom