Soon-to-be mother doe always defiles nest box

JanesBackyardBeginnings

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Hello! I have started backyard rabbits and chickens this year.

We've already had one successful kindling from a doe last week and this week another doe is due (tomorrow) and I had put her nestbox in a week early because the other doe had pulled fur a whole week early (but kindled the expected date).

However! This doe keeps pulling anything placed in there out (hay/straw) and/or poops and pees all over it. I tried switching it to a different part of her pen and cleaning it out, trying again - same result.

Any thoughts or advice?

Should I just clean it out again tonight and tomorrow until she kindles and hope she keeps out once she kindles? No fur pulling or anything yet.

Thanks!

Don't put in a nest box until shortly before the doe is due to kindle If you put it in too early she will use it as a litterbox. I forget how soon to put it in. Maybe four days or so before she is due.

Don't put in a nest box until shortly before the doe is due to kindle If you put it in too early she will use it as a litterbox. I forget how soon to put it in. Maybe four days or so before she is due.

Thanks, yeah, the first doe didn't she actually pulled fur and made the nest a week early, so I just wasn't sure if the others would.

Luckily I cleaned it out again and she made her nest just fine the night she kindled.

Back
Top Bottom