Soon to be on lockdown - anyone wanna join?

Lockdown is tonight for the quail, and tomorrow for the chickens and the duck. I might push lockdown back another day for the quail so they can all hatch together. Any thoughts on this?

~Cherlyn

Congrats everyone!!! Goat_Walker--I know you must be excited. I am jealous of all of you!
big_smile.png

Cherlyn--I don't think changing the lockdown date will change when the eggs hatch--the quail will still hatch on or around their due date. Are they all in the same incubator? If so, it probably won't hurt to lock one set or another a day early or late. If not, then I would just do everything according to plan. It will be more fun having the hatch spread out over a longer period anyway!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think you are right, but I ended up having to put the quail on lockdown by themselves - not all of the chicken and quail eggs can fit together in one incubator!
sad.png

~Cherlyn

I won't be locking down but I have a few mystery eggs due the middle/end of the week.

I've a bunch of new pullets laying and don't know one hens eggs from another and in summer they run with unsegregated roos, so hatching what's out there now is a potentially wild set of combinations of partridge rock hens, delaware hens and barred rock hens, and a delaware roo, a smooth sizzle roo and a splash Sizzle roo. That's officially scatter bred.

I might have have Sizzled a Delaware, I do have Delaware/Partridge rock babies - very cute, I may also have sizzled my barred Rocks. Which is too funny. And one Sizzle hen is in with the seramas, it's likely, eventually there will seramadizzles LOL. I keep setting her eggs in hopes of it. I have a warped sense of humor.

OHH! I am so excited people! Good hatching vibes to all! This si my first hatch and I am so hoping that they do well. I mean even though I dont have a strong enough candler I can at least use the SWT Method - Stink, Weep = Throw!

guineas are starting to pip. cross my fingers for some healthy colorfull little keets. or as my wife calls them noisy buckets of fried chicken:lol:

Two rude chicks pipped and hatched Monday, I noticed when I went to turn their eggs. Rude small animals. Guess some hen must have cooked them off a bit before collection. Which is always exciting.

Barred boy and black girl, both with foot trouble. I'm gonna have to watch that pullet's eggs for future trouble. The father was either Delaware or LOL, my smooth birchen sizzle. Two more for the end of the week... staggered hatchers of the world unite!

Back
Top Bottom