Sooner’s Ducks (And Chickens)

SoonersDucks

Chirping
Jun 26, 2019
Enid, Oklahoma
hello everyone!

I am new here to BYC. My name is Corey and I am currently living in NW Oklahoma. Sooner, is my Blue Healer we rescued years ago when we lived in Phoenix, AZ. His previous owners were Oklahoma Sooner fans... kinda funny that we live here now...

Anyway. I am a brand new country boy... lived in the city all my life, now I own 10 acres and run a horse rescue/quarantine facility. As part of moving here I wanted to get my own flock of feathered friends. We currently have 8 chickens (4 black orphington, I think, 2 red hens, and 2 blonde ones). We got them from Atwoods. I knew their breeds when we bought them, but can’t remember. We also have 7 runner ducks... At least I think they are all runners. Two of them I took off a lady that had them for her daughter as pets... her daughter didn’t want them and they were only 7 weeks old at the time and I was told they were runners. So I took them to give them a good home. We then added 5 more ducklings.

I ultimately wanted them all for eggs, but have found myself very interested in learning all about them.

Attached are pictures of my two enclosures. The Duck one just got finished 2 days ago. I need to add a door to the coop to close and lock at night. The chicken enclosure was my first, and needs some work to make it more appealing to the eye, and their coop portion is to small, and I will be building it bigger soon!

I heard of BYC from pintrest. I have been searching for all type of ideas for my ducks and chickens.

I have all types of questions to ask!

Attachments

• AE5582AC-6E65-4EEA-A4EE-424ED54AC791.jpeg
    AE5582AC-6E65-4EEA-A4EE-424ED54AC791.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • B306FF69-0D49-440D-BD4D-5CE6DF7204A9.jpeg
    B306FF69-0D49-440D-BD4D-5CE6DF7204A9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
So glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens, hope you will enjoy it here as much as we do.I would be remiss in my function here if I didn't advise you that "chicken wire," only
keeps chickens inside, it does nothing to keep predators out.

Predators can slice and dice it like it was spaghetti. The gold standard is 1/2" Hardware cloth- securely affixed to framing. Runs should have covers to keep out raptors and climbers.

So glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens, hope you will enjoy it here as much as we do.I would be remiss in my function here if I didn't advise you that "chicken wire," only
keeps chickens inside, it does nothing to keep predators out.

Predators can slice and dice it like it was spaghetti. The gold standard is 1/2" Hardware cloth- securely affixed to framing. Runs should have covers to keep out raptors and climbers.

My runs are fully enclosed on the top to keep out the hawks and other flying predators. I will keep the hardware wire in mind. Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom