Sooooo mad!

smores.eragon.willymom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
We have three chickens, two hens and a rooster. We had to go out of town for four days and asked our neighbors, who have pets of their own, to feed and water our chickens. Every day for two weeks before we left we had them come over and go into the coop to get the chickens used to them. Everything was fine. Except they didn't feed or water our chickens while we were gone! They said that our rooster, a docile Jersey Giant, tried to attack them. He didn't peck them or even touch them, but somehow they felt threatened. Okay, he's a big rooster. And even though he has never attacked before, I can understand how they could feel like he was threatening. He does like to puff up and bump people, but he's so sweet that we always took that for excitement. I can't understand why they didn't just dump some food through the chicken wire so the chickens would have something to eat! How could you let any type of animal starve for four days?? They did manage to get the eggs every day, though, and because the eggs are fertilized they are going to try to hatch them.
sad.png
Poor chickens. Our babies are fine, but were soooo happy to see us. Next time we will hire a pet sitter. (Oh, now our chickens are laying eggs on the roost instead of in their nests. I think it's because they were scared while we were gone.)

To me this is an outrage and I would have told them so. It isn't right that they took eggs whether to cook or to hatch and didn't do their part of the job. They deserve a good talking to and not just once either. It wasn't fair to your chickens or you to starve them. It caused you a lot of worry and they could have fed them something if they were already there.
somad.gif

They should know that chickens will eat off the ground
barnie.gif

I would demand those eggs back if they know what's good for them. They aren't your friends as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, need to calm down:fl

I just have really good neighbors that I pay to take care of my chickens when I'm away and I would never have guessed this could happen to someone.

Holy cow! It doesn't sound like they were all that scared if they managed to collect the eggs so they could hatch them.
hmm.png
Sounds like they were just being ignorant of the situation to me. I bet they forgot to feed your chickens until it was time for you to come home and when they realized it was time, they quickly gathered all of the eggs that had been laid over the time you were gone. Oh I hope and pray my neighbor doesn't do this while I'm away this weekend. :eek:

Personally I think its sad.
Its sad because a human being could starve an animal because they were scared.
If it were me and I was scared of the rooster I would have taken the time and sat by the coop slowly throwing them handfuls so they know I was going to be their feeder for a few days.
Even if that didnt work I would still have thrown it through the wire..
Some people.

Those people didn't give a hoot about your bird at all. They are selfish and rude. They managed to get close enough to take the eggs, how hard would it have been to stick a hose in there????? That story they gave you is the biggest pile horse manure I have ever heard. And you do need to get the eggs back.

I am so sorry for your experience and am glad that your chickens are ok. I don't think your insensitive and dumb neighbors will be able to hatch the eggs. It's not that easy if you don't know anything about chickens.

You would think they would KNOW before saying yes to taking care of your animals that they were afraid of the rooster and at least tell you that they are afraid and say they cannot watch them! UGH! I cannot believe that could happen! I sorry your poor birds had to suffer
sad.png

I would assume that would have met your rooster when they came over every day before you left and knew a little about it. That would make me downright mad, especially when they took the eggs, but couldn't feed or water! That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while!

Back
Top Bottom