Sooty tailed red legged Buff orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I have an old buff orp rooster that some runaway renters left at a house up the street. He is starting to get his feathers back and he has a sooty colored tail coming in . I am assuming this is a big flaw for the breed? I have a very nice orp hen I got to go with him but I may need to get rid of him since he was abused by thier kids and now wants to flog preteens. Also he has a red tint on his legs. Is this just a flaw or indication of something else?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Sounds like you may have something that is a Rhode Island Red mix of some sort

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The soot on the males tail is pretty common and can be bred out through proper selection. The red on the legs is normal on a buff orp roo (as long as the base skin color is white). It is an indication of a mature cockbird.

Edited to add - I would not use him for breeding since he has a bad personality. Altho, if it was set by poor environmental conditions, his offspring may not be mean. If you choose to rehome him, please warn the new owners. I find it best to cull mean roosters.

Jody

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The red tint in his legs is the blood in his legs.

Tim

5. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Thanks guys. I think he will be culled. His spurs are almost 3 inches so I would guess he is fairly old. Today he made an attempt at me. I will soon be coming home with my new daughter from Ethiopia and I will not chance him flogging her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by