Sooty tailed red legged Buff orp

ThiefPouter06

Songster
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
green co. KY
I have an old buff orp rooster that some runaway renters left at a house up the street. He is starting to get his feathers back and he has a sooty colored tail coming in . I am assuming this is a big flaw for the breed? I have a very nice orp hen I got to go with him but I may need to get rid of him since he was abused by thier kids and now wants to flog preteens. Also he has a red tint on his legs. Is this just a flaw or indication of something else?

The soot on the males tail is pretty common and can be bred out through proper selection. The red on the legs is normal on a buff orp roo (as long as the base skin color is white). It is an indication of a mature cockbird.

Edited to add - I would not use him for breeding since he has a bad personality. Altho, if it was set by poor environmental conditions, his offspring may not be mean. If you choose to rehome him, please warn the new owners. I find it best to cull mean roosters.

Jody

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think he will be culled. His spurs are almost 3 inches so I would guess he is fairly old. Today he made an attempt at me. I will soon be coming home with my new daughter from Ethiopia and I will not chance him flogging her!

Back
Top Bottom