Sore on side of roosters mouth

Pjurey

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
I just noticed a yellowish sore on the side of my roosters mouth. I’m trying to load the picture and I can’t seem to figure it out. Anyone have any advice? I’ll try to keep working on the picture.

Here’s his picture

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 3
That’s what we were thinking too, do you know if antibiotics are the only treatment or are there good home remedies I can try?

Have you looked in his beak and throat? Are there any yellow lesions or plaques in there?
If you see nothing else, and there are no other symptoms then it possibly could just be an injury, and I'd be inclined to either just observe, or treat topically with an antibiotic ointment (plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment), just a tiny dab with a q tip, and see if it resolves. If there are other symptoms or more inside the mouth/throat, then I would treat it as canker. Usual treatment is metronidazole, dosing is here in post #3: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-help-me-know-what-to-do-to-treat-it.874579/
There are some sources that say thyme extract (the garden herb) will treat it, I've not tried that, you can search for sources and dosing advice if you want to try that.

Have you looked in his beak and throat? Are there any yellow lesions or plaques in there?
If you see nothing else, and there are no other symptoms then it possibly could just be an injury, and I'd be inclined to either just observe, or treat topically with an antibiotic ointment (plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment), just a tiny dab with a q tip, and see if it resolves. If there are other symptoms or more inside the mouth/throat, then I would treat it as canker. Usual treatment is metronidazole, dosing is here in post #3: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-help-me-know-what-to-do-to-treat-it.874579/
There are some sources that say thyme extract (the garden herb) will treat it, I've not tried that, you can search for sources and dosing advice if you want to try that.
Thank you for the information! Yes all I see is the lesion and a little redness around the beak so far. He did try to fight another hen through the cage so it’s possible it’s an injury for sure. I sure appreciate all of everyone’s input!

Back
Top Bottom