never enough birds

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
I have a very nice Barred Rock Roo, but his feet look there
is something wrong. They look like he has worts on his feet
the one foot looks like it might be swelled, sometimes he
limps, and holds it up alot. Any ideas? Thanks

It is on the bottom of them? If so, it's probably bumblefoot. It's caused by a staph infection and will require care. Here is how to treat bumblefoot:

Avoiding Bumblefoot

Bumblefoot is difficult to cure. Make sure the roosts are rounded and not too high off the ground. Sand off any potential splinter areas, Ensure plenty of litter, 3-4 inches or more. Don't use wire bottom cages. Give vitamin supplements, especially Vitamin A.

Treatment

Have on hand the following:
Betadine, hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin, sterile scalpel or 14g needle, coban, sterile 2x2 gauze pads, surgeon's gloves. Have ready a cage to put the chicken in when you're done. Make the litter deep, ensure food and water. I have used terramycin in the water for a week - follow the directions on the package.

The 'Operation'

If possible, have a helper. You can, however, do this yourself. Wear gloves - you don't want to get the staph on you! Wash the leg and foot, scrub with betadine until clean atleast 30 seconds. If you can soak the foot until the scab is soft, do that and then pull off the scab. Lance the pad with the needle or scalpel and squeeze out the pus. I do this under running water. Yes, there will be bleeding. After the pus is out as much as you can get, dip the foot into peroxide solution. The blood will cause a foaming reaction. If there is a lot of bleeding, hold pressure with a sterile 2x2 until stopped or under control.
Apply neosporin to the site, a sterile 2x2, add some more 2x2s for padding, then wrap the foot firmly with coban. Wrap so the toes and spur are exposed. Don't wrap so tight that you cut off circulation. You will want to start the wrap on the foot and work up to the leg.
Coban sticks well to itself and the chicken generally won't be able to pull it off if you do a good job.

Place the chicken in the deep litter cage, and change the dressing in 2-3 days. I keep the chicken confined until I remove the dressing and until the pad is well healed so that it won't open up when back to free ranging

Edited to place quotations on the above instructions as they were taken from another forum from someone smarter than I am!!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent job with those details Gator..wow, nicely done there!
clap.gif
clap.gif
Hope your roo gets better Never
smile.png

if there is staph infection, terramycin might not work..
Pen-G procaine or Baytril..
also..Cipro would work.

give aspirin (PLAIN REGULAR aspirin)..1 (325mg)pill crushed into 1 quart of water to help with discomfort..

confine the roo to a safe place with clean soft bedding, with food and water close by so he can rest the feet.
offer extra protein, such as cooked eggs..and vitamins.

if you could post a pic, it would help diagnose..

sounds like Bumblefoot with spreading infection..
but there are other disorders that are similar.

Back
Top Bottom