Sore to saddle

Cathy L

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
I have now 3 hens and 2 roosters. About 1 yr old, raised together since 3 days old. Everyone gets along. But the hens are losing feathers to saddle area. I noticed one hen has a sore. I cleansed it with medicated shampoo,and sprayed Vetericyn antimicrobial spray. Not sure I will be able to get it to heal. Could it be due to the humping?

Attachments

• 0312211643a.jpg
    0312211643a.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 0312211557.jpg
    0312211557.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 9
Those look like spur injuries to me. I would trim or file and dull the spurs. Then it would be good to separate one or both of the roosters. It is good to have 8-10 hens to each rooster, especially if the hens are getting overmated. You might want to add a few more hens.

Use plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Apply 2 or 3 times a day, as needed to keep them covered in ointment and moist. Those are very likely injuries from mounting. 2 roosters is way too much for 3 hens. Usually about 10 hens to 1 roo is a good number, give or take. Less hens or more roo's than that ends up with beat up or injured hens, as you have found. So I would separate the boys and let the girls recover. You will need to get more hens, or rehome the boys. If you don't plan on hatching your own eggs, you don't have to have a roo at all, unless you want one. If you want to keep the boys I would house them separately in a bachelor pad.

Back
Top Bottom