sores on the foot of my goose

phyona1

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
Hi I'm new to these forums so I am hoping people can help. We are in the North of England in the UK and have several chickens and some geese.
The geese are Embden geese, we hatched them out this time last year and have a mix of males and females. We have 16 of them in total. One of them has developed sores on her foot. She does not pick at them or seem bothered. No other goose has anything like it on their feet. They are quite aggressive towards each other at the moment, what with it being breeding season. They all look in a bad way with feathers missing etc where they grab each other. Could it be down to stress? She has a bit of a skeletal look to her feathers too. We give them brewers yeast in their wheat every day and they graze a large field of grass every day. The field has not had any type of waterfowl of chickens on it for many years and we have only been grazing the geese on it for the last year. I will try to add a pic!
Many thanks
goose-foot-jpg.1380283

I wonder if that could be from fighting but you say her so since I don't have but 1 female not sure if the females fight. Or could it be from the chickens do they peck at your geese? Are your females laying this one in particular? with sparse feathers she maybe lacking something nutrient wise. Brewers yeast is good but there seems to be something else going on maybe she needs a bit of protein. Have you ever offered a good quality cat kibble fish based or dog kibble I use dog and it's salmon and pea. Good source of protein for good quality feathers. And possible it may help with the skin problem also. My female goose also loves dried mealworms

Maybe @Iain Utah can add something here.

I wonder if that could be from fighting but you say her so since I don't have but 1 female not sure if the females fight. Or could it be from the chickens do they peck at your geese? Are your females laying this one in particular? with sparse feathers she maybe lacking something nutrient wise. Brewers yeast is good but there seems to be something else going on maybe she needs a bit of protein. Have you ever offered a good quality cat kibble fish based or dog kibble I use dog and it's salmon and pea. Good source of protein for good quality feathers. And possible it may help with the skin problem also. My female goose also loves dried mealworms

Maybe @Iain Utah can add something here.
Hi Miss Lydia,
Thanks for your reply.
The geese all fight with each other at the moment, that is why their feathers are in a mess! The chickens are separated from the geese so these are not from hens pecking.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't from fighting then. Boy My gander and Muscovy drake get into it and before I can get them separated there is already blood. Maybe separate some of the worst looking and give them a break from each other this is a crazy time of year.

Back
Top Bottom