Sorry..another rooster question :(

Continuing my previous comments; broodiness! Having broody hens raise chicks is how it's been until the last century or so, at least in most cases. Since then, incubators have ruled, and broodiness has been selected out of many breeds, because it directly interrupts egg production.
Some breeds, who haven't been selected heavily for maximum egg production, are likely to have more broodies, and breeds selected for high production just don't have many at all.
Personally I prefer broody raised chicks, and favor hens who have that attitude too.
I remember reading somewhere that the rooster primarily passes on this trait. Anyone have any idea? I select for it here in my Belgian d'Uccles, who still are often broody, and miss the salmon Favorelle hens that raised chicks for me too.
Mary

I respectfully disagree. A rooster that really crows a great deal when you are in the pen, to me is starting to be aggressive. Be aware. If he repeatedly fluffs up and wing flaps when you are there, to me those are beginning signs. I am not worried about an occasional crow or fluff, but repeatedly.

As for training - I do think the march is helpful, however, unless you are living with your chickens, any training is going to be of limited affect.

Do be very aware of children or small women, they are often attacked first.

Mrs K
Sadly im having such problem! I can let my grandchildren leave my side anytime they are outside, due to my rooster, im trying to discourage him and im starting to belive ive made and mistake thinking i could change it. Where as i thought it was just my small grandchildren, ive noticed when just me or other ppl are around outside he always wing flaps, a crows a lot more than the other rooster same age. He is and always has been very watchful over the girls, he dosent havent spurs yet, im worried about when he does. Hes about 5 1/2 months old right now. Just wish i could fix this as my 3 year granddaughter loves the chickens and helping get eggs and feed, the whole 9 yards, even though she is scared of him. I need to get rid of him just hope doing that dosent put my girls at risk.

There isn't a "herding" dance. It's called "dropping a wing" or a romance dance and what he's is telling the other bird is to bend over and get ready for a good "blanking".
I wouldn't put up with him dropping a wing on me either. He might think he is just gonna knock him off a piece, but he could scratch you up pretty bad. :gig
And he ain't gonna call the next day or give you any flowers when he's done!
Lmao!!! I needed a good laugh!

He's an adolescent, just getting into who he will become. If he's already threatening your grandchildren, it's not going to get better!
She's a lot more important than this cockerel! He can't actually 'protect' his flockmates, and he can do real damage to these children, or at least ruin their 'chicken experience' for life.
He'll be delicious, for you or some other family.
Mary

Sometimes the
.... Just wish i could fix this as my 3 year granddaughter loves the chickens and helping get eggs and feed, the whole 9 yards, even though she is scared of him. I need to get rid of him just hope doing that doesn't put my girls at risk.
Sometimes, the only thing you can do is rehome or stewpot. I've gone through about 8 roosters so far, only 2 of them were worth having, my avatar is one of those, Fluffybutt was a great old bird, the first roo I had was a mutt bird called Chuckles who also was amazingly good. No aggression and no worries about their spurring anyone. But the other 6? Argh... One in particular turned out really rough, a beautiful Barred Rock rooster I hatched myself and really wanted for breeding. Turned out to be a nightmare bird. He went to a friend who runs a chicken sanctuary. It was all I could do. He just wouldn't stop attacking no matter what was done and even the hens hated him.

Such an interesting thread. I have at least one cockerel right now (I might have two, but still waiting on my Silkie to crow or lay). He is not aggressive.... yet. And he's started being very protective of the girls and breaking up spats between them. I'm a BIG TIME worrier and over-thinker. Everything I've read about cockerels and roosters, and I've read a lot, makes me think they are more trouble in they are worth. I always feel discouraged because there are so many variables and opposing opinions. I haven't figured out what to do.

So I decided to do a whole lot of nothing unless teeny little Picotee (Seabright cockerel, only 13 weeks) starts to give problematic signs. I'm one of those problematic backyard noobs who frustrates the more experienced, practical folx. So far, so good. But I'm aware I'm probably doing everything wrong, and inviting trouble (at best) or ruining my boy (at worst). Gotta learn somehow....
:oops:

He's an adolescent, just getting into who he will become. If he's already threatening your grandchildren, it's not going to get better!
She's a lot more important than this cockerel! He can't actually 'protect' his flockmates, and he can do real damage to these children, or at least ruin their 'chicken experience' for life.
He'll be delicious, for you or some other family.
Mary
I know you are right, im looking to rehome him now! I dont want anything bad to happen, and its scares me that im not gonna stop it, like today when she ran ahead of me wanting to collect eggs by herself,he just cant be trusted! Hes gone after each one of them both 3yrs olds and 5 yr old, but never any adults and even weirder the dog!?? Can walk right up to him and nothing!?

My cockerel is 12 weeks and he just looks at me and cocks his head. He's never showed any aggression and, when I enter the pen, he backs right off and if I advance on him he'll run into the coop. If I speak softly, he'll sometimes let me pet him (when putting feed out) but most of the time he'd rather stay 4-6 feet away.

Small people are often the first targets of cockerels who are thinking bad thought towards humans. Also, young children run, squeal, dance around, and generally behave in ways that aren't the calm confident best ways to interact with chickens.
The children need to learn how to best interact with the birds, and any cockerels going after them need to be gone ASAP.
'Rehoming' this bird needs to be with full disclosure!!! He's more appropriate as dinner, IMO.
Mary

HCCHICK Do not wait until you find someone, he will not wait for you. He will attack small children first, then women, and eventually even men. Most people underestimate the violence of a rooster attack if they have never seen one. Scars on that little girl would be terrible, and she will not love the chickens afterwards. This is a wonderful hobby to share with grandchildren, but do not let a rooster ruin it for you, and you are very close to that happening. Do something NOW.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom