Sorry for posting so much about this...

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I'm still really worried about my white leghorn. She's 31 weeks, and no eggs. She's eating layer crumble, and has plenty of fresh water and nesting places. I've heard the egg song once, but no eggs, and it wasn't just form her, but from all of them at once! I'm less impatient about eggs than I am worried about her- is she internally laying or something? Is there anything I should do? Or should I just be pateint!
She does have a really big, red comb, although she does not squat. She is very scared of people so I doubt she will squat, and I know some chickens don't. I have golf balls in the nesting box, too. She is very spoiled and lookes healthy!

ETA: See pictures post 17!

Last edited:
Please forgive me; I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure she is a she? Is her comb larger and redder than you would expect? Wattles? Long tail feathers or saddle feathers?

Please forgive me; I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure she is a she? Is her comb larger and redder than you would expect? Wattles? Long tail feathers or saddle feathers?

Don't worry, I expected that :) . I am 100 percent positive that she a she. I hang around the "What Breed and Gender is this" a lot, and (not bragging), am very good at sexing pullets. Here's a picture of her around 20 weeks if you want to make sure:
She's alot younger in this picture, but you can still tell she's a pullet.

Last edited:
I have a similar hen. Mine is my splash hamburg. I have only gotten 7 eggs from her and she is now 9 months old. So much for the "Dutch every day layer". I would not worry too much if she is eating and drinking and acting fine.
Some hens just do not live up to the standards.

There was a thread on here not long ago about using cayenne pepper to increase laying. Some of the posters had success with starting hens like yours. Do a search for the thread as directions and amounts to use were given. Hope this helps.

Do you provide artificial lighting? I didn't my first few years of raising chickens and ended up with pullets who wouldn't lay until 10 months of age! I'd get them as chicks in the summer and not recieve an egg until the following spring. I live up in northern Wisconsin though, so I think the short wintery cold days discourage them from laying. Now I light the coop and get eggs year round, even from my younger hens. :)

Back
Top Bottom