Sorry if I am doing this wrong!! Still learning the site. Two questions. Chance of Cockerel and Prod

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aamanda, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I had my father order me some Rhode Island Reds. He was supposed to order me a straight run of 15. BUT he ordered pullets only and I got 16. What are my chances I manged to get a cockerel? Should I keep hoping? Second thing is. I ordered from a hatchery. From what I have read they are probably production reds. However the hatchery has them listed as "Heritage " Rhode Island Reds with a separate listing for production reds. The Rhodes are listed on their site as APA. And that they have been working on the line for 30 years. What is my chances they are actually Heritage? These chicks hatched Aug 6th. I have one that jumps up at and sometimes on the others. I am hoping for a rooster so bad im seeing rooster traits in a few lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I think you have at least one cockeral. As far as a True RIR not sure but most hatchery birds are far from the pure and right type.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    You just might have a rooster, give them a few more weeks to see. Unless you have my luck, and than you wont get a rooster because that is what you want [​IMG]

4. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Boy aint that the truth!!! LOL [​IMG]

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Cackle Hatchery has pictures of their Rhode Island Red breeding stock: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/rhodeislandrdpage.html

They state: Breeder Farm Source: "Cackle Hatchery Poultry Breeding Farm" developing our bloodline or strain of pure Rhode Island Red since 1936.

Their Rhode Island Reds look good to me.

6. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    How do mine look?

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

"Heritage" is a word that gets thrown around a lot. A Heritage line of a breed means that that the line of birds is trying to meet the standards and qualities originally seen in the breed.

Sometimes people say it is a heritage breed. That just means it is an old breed of chicken.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You won't really be able to tell until they are fully developed.

But they look alright so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by