Sorry this is a little out of place.. but there just isn't a thread for how old is this hen, probabl

boersmamrs

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
She is a bird I rescued. She is a stray. She seems older than my pullet who just started laying but they seem equally matched when in comes to "pecking order" so I assume this means she is near my pullet in age or significantly older? I am VERY new to chickens. So please help me out. ANY guesses are helpful or any tips of figuring out her age approx. would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to tell exactly how old she is. My guess is that she's over a year old.
Yeah, her comb is a little dull but is still pretty red just not in comparison to my newly laying girl... and she still has pretty bright eyes.. But her head seems much larger than my pullets, she has longer feathers as well.

Also, any advice on how to get a more accurate guess? Like things I can look for?

She looks like she's at least 6 months old, but other than that, it is hard to be sure. Chickens don't change much in appearance once they start laying.

Another question about her... Do you guys think she will lay eggs? I have read that the comb and wattle are indicative of that.. my other chickens comb is more red but not by much.

Last edited:
any idea the breed of the two lighter pullets? I know the black one is an australorp.

They are still pretty skiddish. And my phone camera stinks for trying to zoom in lol. She has the tiniest comb I can't tell what color it is. Her eyes arevery dark though and she gets very dark towards her face.

Back
Top Bottom