Sorry this is a little out of place.. but there just isn't a thread for how old is this hen, probabl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by boersmamrs, Oct 2, 2014.

1. boersmamrs

boersmamrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2014
    [​IMG] She is a bird I rescued. She is a stray. She seems older than my pullet who just started laying but they seem equally matched when in comes to "pecking order" so I assume this means she is near my pullet in age or significantly older? I am VERY new to chickens. So please help me out. ANY guesses are helpful or any tips of figuring out her age approx. would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It's hard to tell exactly how old she is. My guess is that she's over a year old.

3. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Yeah, her comb is a little dull but is still pretty red just not in comparison to my newly laying girl... and she still has pretty bright eyes.. But her head seems much larger than my pullets, she has longer feathers as well.

4. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Also, any advice on how to get a more accurate guess? Like things I can look for?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like she's at least 6 months old, but other than that, it is hard to be sure. Chickens don't change much in appearance once they start laying.

6. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Well darn.

7. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Another question about her... Do you guys think she will lay eggs? I have read that the comb and wattle are indicative of that.. my other chickens comb is more red but not by much.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  8. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    [​IMG] any idea the breed of the two lighter pullets? I know the black one is an australorp.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you get profile shots of them? What type of comb does the far back (darkest light bird) have?

10. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    They are still pretty skiddish. And my phone camera stinks for trying to zoom in lol. She has the tiniest comb I can't tell what color it is. Her eyes arevery dark though and she gets very dark towards her face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by