"sort of" impacted crop?

stewie's mom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Hi all...I have a few questions.

I have a 2-1/2 year black australorp that had an impacted crop about two weeks ago. I isolated her and gave her only soft/liquid diet for three days, kept her in lower light so she could rest and massaged her crop often. Also gave her olive oil, nutradrench and yogurt.
She did have some bowel movements but layed no eggs.
After the second day the crop started to reduce in size but never did completely empty. A small hard-ish mass stayed in her crop. I put her back with the other girls and she seems to be fine but the small hard mass in her crop is there every morning. When I massage it, it does get softer but doesn't pass. I am still giving her a bit of olive oil and doing the massage. I don't think she has layed any eggs since before this all began.
My question is, should I have this surgically removed for fear of it becoming sour or just keep massaging it in hopes it will pass? And if I do have a vet remove it and it happens again, how many times can their crop be cut open without damaging it irreparably?
As you can probably tell, these are my pets so I will do all I possibly can to keep them healthy and happy.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

You can give her ACV in her water. All the chickens would benefit from that.

There may be an underlieng issue behind the imacted crop so it may come back again.

I don''t know about giving advice but I would think that it should be removed.

Here are a couple of links.....

thank-you very much tiki, I will look into the copper sulfate/powdered bluestone. Today the crop no longer feels hard but it is "puffier". I am afraid it has gone sour but no smell from Glory's beak yet. Will call my vet tomorrow for appt. for my baby girl. Thank-you again.

Does the puffy feel squishy like liquid? The hard mass is gone? Are you still restricting her diet?

I have done crop surgery at home before if that is anything you are interested in. You can PM me.

Back
Top Bottom