Sort of New Chicken Mama

Hailey313

Chirping
Mar 8, 2018
New Mexico
Hello to all! My husband, 20 year-old step-son and I live off the grid in a 5th wheel trailer in NE New Mexico with our 2 dogs, 2 cats and 7 chickens.
We started living off the grid in rural NE Nevada in April 2016. We had a total of 14 various breeds of hens and 1 light brahma rooster.
Last August we decided to relocate to southern New Mexico and all the animals moved with us By Decemember we had lost 3 hens to transport stress, 3 to human theft (2 light brahma hens and a LB rooster. The thieves knew what they were lookung for!), 4 to cyotes and 1 to a hawk. We were down to 3 hens, 1 rooster and SO MANY flies (due to open grazing) it reminded me of an Alfred Hitchcock movie!
In December we moved to NE New Mexico, again off the grid and with our animals.

We took in a friend's "spare" rooster a few days ago and after he and our "old" rooster pecked it out they seem to get along fine now. They are both LB.
We have decided to concentrate solely on Light Brahmas because of their size and their beauty. We received our 2 newest females via USPS today. They are 12 weeks old. I have never come across such tame and friendly chickens. Our goal is to sell the eggs.
I found out about BackYardChickens through a google search.
I was diagnosed with Stage V Kidney Failure 2 years ago, but am doing fine.

Currently, we still eat chicken, though not "locally sourced" but we don't feed chicken or foods with chicken byproducts.
My husband and I consider ourselves to be farmers. Hopefully, someday everyone we know will think so too :)

Here is a photo of me and our 2 newest girls, Du'a and A'yah, which arrived in today's mail.
IMG_20180308_091857.jpg

Welcome to BYC, Hailey! You seem like an incredibly sweet woman, and it looks to me like your new pullets thinks so, too! They're beautiful birds; what kind are they?

I'm sorry for your recent troubles, losing so many of your hens. But I'm glad to here that you're doing well despite your kidney issues.

Welcome to BYC, Hailey! You seem like an incredibly sweet woman, and it looks to me like your new pullets thinks so, too! They're beautiful birds; what kind are they?

I'm sorry for your recent troubles, losing so many of your hens. But I'm glad to here that you're doing well despite your kidney issues.
My newest two girls are Light Brahmas. I feel blessed

G’Day from down under Hailey… :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

It sounds like you may move around a little but if you include your general location on your profile this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hello to all! My husband, 20 year-old step-son and I live off the grid in a 5th wheel trailer in NE New Mexico with our 2 dogs, 2 cats and 7 chickens.
We started living off the grid in rural NE Nevada in April 2016. We had a total of 14 various breeds of hens and 1 light brahma rooster.
Last August we decided to relocate to southern New Mexico and all the animals moved with us By Decemember we had lost 3 hens to transport stress, 3 to human theft (2 light brahma hens and a LB rooster. The thieves knew what they were lookung for!), 4 to cyotes and 1 to a hawk. We were down to 3 hens, 1 rooster and SO MANY flies (due to open grazing) it reminded me of an Alfred Hitchcock movie!
In December we moved to NE New Mexico, again off the grid and with our animals.

We took in a friend's "spare" rooster a few days ago and after he and our "old" rooster pecked it out they seem to get along fine now. They are both LB.
We have decided to concentrate solely on Light Brahmas because of their size and their beauty. We received our 2 newest females via USPS today. They are 12 weeks old. I have never come across such tame and friendly chickens. Our goal is to sell the eggs.
I found out about BackYardChickens through a google search.
I was diagnosed with Stage V Kidney Failure 2 years ago, but am doing fine.

Currently, we still eat chicken, though not "locally sourced" but we don't feed chicken or foods with chicken byproducts.
My husband and I consider ourselves to be farmers. Hopefully, someday everyone we know will think so too :)

Here is a photo of me and our 2 newest girls, Du'a and A'yah, which arrived in today's mail.View attachment 1288867

Hailey glad you joined us here at Backyard Chickens did you take a gun to those thieves
sometimes the two legged are more dangerous .. glad to here all is in remission at this point be well chat often with many of us

Hailey glad you joined us here at Backyard Chickens did you take a gun to those thieves
sometimes the two legged are more dangerous .. glad to here all is in remission at this point be well chat often with many of us
They must have been taken them during the night. My husbanf and I did have a duscussion about buying a pump action shotgun for cyotes and daytime human mauraders. He thinks just the very recognizable sound of the shotgun being pumped would be enough to send human theives (and attemped burglers) hightailing it off the propertu! LOL!

Heading to the kitchen to cool boiling eggs for egg salad sandwiches YUMOLA!

They must have been taken them during the night. My husbanf and I did have a duscussion about buying a pump action shotgun for cyotes and daytime human mauraders. He thinks just the very recognizable sound of the shotgun being pumped would be enough to send human theives (and attemped burglers) hightailing it off the propertu! LOL!

Heading to the kitchen to cool boiling eggs for egg salad sandwiches YUMOLA!

sounds like a great ideas I use Silky eggs to make deviled eggs one of customers pickles them

Back
Top Bottom