SOS chick hatched <30 mins ago, intestines or unabsorbed yolk hanging out???

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
CD5976B0-433D-4B5F-9256-BBB4A3D14301.jpeg

hatched in an incubator within the hour but also have a broody hen simultaneously hatched a chick this morning she happily took this one while i figure out what to do. is this intestine and needs to be pushed back in gently or just unabsorbed yolk?? what do i do?? tyia

How is it doing now? Has it fixed on it's own yet?

If you are able to see this and the chick is still alive, I would suggest putting a small amount of olive oil on the exposed intestine and isolate the chick from any others.

Check on the chick every couple hours. You don't want the tissue to dry out. If it appears to start going back in, then continue treating the chick. Personally I wouldn't want to try pushing it back in for fear of doing more damage.

The navel didn't close all the way. Sometimes this happens and while it can heal, t's not always reversible.

If you are able to see this and the chick is still alive, I would suggest putting a small amount of olive oil on the exposed intestine and isolate the chick from any others.

Check on the chick every couple hours. You don't want the tissue to dry out. If it appears to start going back in, then continue treating the chick. Personally I wouldn't want to try pushing it back in for fear of doing more damage.

The navel didn't close all the way. Sometimes this happens and while it can heal, t's not always reversible.
thank you so much! i will do this and update in the morning with however it turns out for future reference for anyone else.

View attachment 3290621
hatched in an incubator within the hour but also have a broody hen simultaneously hatched a chick this morning she happily took this one while i figure out what to do. is this intestine and needs to be pushed back in gently or just unabsorbed yolk?? what do i do?? tyia
You put this chick under the brooder or is it still in the incubator?

Hopefully it's still in the incubator. If it's been soiled at all, then swab with an antiseptic like betadine or chlorhexidine, then apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin to keep it moist. Don't try to push that in.
Put the chick in a paper towel lined cup (coffee or tea cup) and put her back in the incubator. See if she absorbs it.

Back
Top Bottom