SOS have a hurt baby goat!!!

Ok update on Cocoa....

I called around and found a vet that has goats! Awesome! After explaining the situation he is going to wave the exam fees and just charge for the meds. We see him at two this afternoon and I will update you guys then! :)

Took Cocoa to the vet.... I really liked him he took his time and answered all my questions. He immediately ruled out a lack of selenium because her leg muscles are rigid instead of weak. Her found no broken bones but thinks she was stepped on or kicked (my poor baby). He's thinking it is neurological and gave her a steroid shot. He thinks it may be swelling around a nerve. I take her back on Wednesday for a check up and another steroid shot. He actually does wildlife rescues so didn't charge me a penny!! Said to keep lifting her rear with the scarf . He also said to work her legs muscles and bend and straighten them but I'm really nervous still about that! He said only time would tell but it looks promising that she will make a full recovery!

Yea!! I'm so happy nothing to serious. I'm from the cuff of michigan. Little village called north adams. Your vet sounds very nice. I worked for a small animal vet that was like that. His main concern was the animals and not money so much.

When you take her back have him show you exactly what you need to do with the stretches. She has no broken bones so you aren't going to hurt her anymore. Your going to want her used to handling her legs anyway for when you trim her hooves. : )

Thanks guys I'm super excited she is so much better!

This was late last night. Notice how her hind legs are held straight out at an awkward angle. That's how she has laid since I got her....

And today....

Just four hours after her shot before the goat Zumba we are now doing. Notice that her legs lay in a more natural bent way! Not rigid at all now! The goat lady on goat-link sent me a video explaining the range of motion for a normal goat leg and how to work them. After seeing it it's a breeze. She still isn't using them too much on her own and tends to hold them straight when trying to stand and walk while dragging them but we are making progress for sure!

Glad to hear she's doing better.

On the topic of stretches, if you go slow and gentle you'll feel if there's any resistance. I only very gently and slowly pushed and pulled a few millimeters beyond the initial resistance with my lamb's knees, but the injury here is different. Massaging is almost as important as stretching. I wouldn't do too many repetitions or do it too many times a day. Helping her stand and move are about the most important aids to her healing.

On the topic of mess in the house, you may be surprised but you can house train her. It will get harder as she gets older since they poop a lot more the older they get, and given that she's a special needs baby it may be better to just use a nappy or harness for collecting the poop and pee, but it is possible to housetrain them. How you do it depends on how you and your animal interact and what they respond to as an individual. It may be excess stress at this point. I didn't housetrain my lamb to begin with but now she knows where to pee and poop.

Best wishes.

Thanks! I think I'm going to try puppy pads in her hiding places. Really the poop is much better to clean up than the pee! Since she kind of leans she pees down one legs is it possible for her to get "diaper rash?" Maybe a warm wash cloth over that rear side? Your right I would rather clean up pee than stress her right now as I just got her poop back in line! Who knew goats were so fragile?!?? Well their stomachs anyways. She has pretty good range with both back legs now though I'm going at snails pace and not pulling it all the way straight or pushing it all the way to her belly just want her to get used to the idea of hey this is what we are doing now! She's switched all the way over to whole milk now (omg between her and my kids I swear I need. Dairy cow!!!!) and that has made a huge difference! I'm sure some people do ok with milk replacer but my little goat not so much. I'm thinking of slowly adding in a bit of buttermilk for a higher cal content because I think she needs it right now she's a bit skinny. I think due to the stress and diarrhea.

I have used disposable baby diapers on kids. I have known people to use them on baby lambs, too. Get the smallest size you can find. I used the diapers on preemies that I had to keep warm and dry. They worked great!!

I have used disposable baby diapers on kids.  I have known people to use them on baby lambs, too.  Get the smallest size you can find.  I used the diapers on preemies that I had to keep warm and dry. They worked great!!

I am a child still in diapers my husband might murder me if I start buying then for my goat lol. I will have to check into it though....

Back
Top Bottom