SOS have a hurt baby goat!!!

Quote: I don't have a handy image but there are makeshift devices for crippled animals that you may want to look into building. (Even if you don't think of yourself as a builder, really, all you need is a bit of commonsense and the willingness to learn).

All it needs is four castor wheels on a frame at a wide enough spacing to prevent her falling over as she moves, a frame that joins onto that wheel-base frame and goes over her back, and a sling hanging from that over-arching frame to support her body enough for her to practice exercising her legs.

(Something like a baby stroller (or whatever you guys call them in the USA --- a 'walker'?) except suited to a four legged baby).

You ought to be able to get the materials very cheaply from a variety of sources, even the dump. (Sounds pretty unforgivable to some but really the dumps in Australia are like gold mines. Rich folks will quite literally throw away all manner of unused and expensive gear, like home cinemas untouched in their packaging just because they didn't want that for Christmas, or they got two already, or whatever).

People commonly make this sort of thing out of hollow plastic tubing that slots together but anything workable is good. If it has a U-shaped bottom, with wheels on all four 'corners' of the 'u', and an arch sitting over the top of that 'u' bottom, from which to suspend the sling/harness (whatever) then it should be fine. A lot of people think building makeshift cages or structures is something best left to professionals but a lot of animals wouldn't be alive today if their owners had waited on a professional structure. There's a few simple universal designs that work for basically any creature that has four legs. What works for a four-legged predator with weak back legs will also work for a ruminant with weak back legs, for example.

The most important things are to not leave her in there when she really wants to lay down (tough love is good but only up to a point), and make sure the sling or harness or vest or whatever you put her in to help suspend her weight doesn't cut into her at any point, as in apply enough pressure to meddle with her bowels or circulation. It's hard to be too careful about a ruminant's guts when you're talking about external physical obstruction endured for lengths of time at a stretch. They're less tolerant than poultry, cats, dogs, etc. But, don't worry, she should be fine.

Before I made a sling for her, my lamb was running around on normal back legs and the knees of her locked front legs, which were stuck in the bent position, but even like that she could scale a fence over a meter tall in a few seconds. No idea how; she was only the size of a cat at that point, and only a few days past being paralyzed throughout her entire body (victim of paralysis ticks). Initially it was a struggle to make a sling that suited, as she wriggled out front or back, but I used baby T-shirts and clothes, also chopped up random bits of fabric to make it work, and she started to be so keen on her few daily stints in the sling that she would demand to be put in there and complain when taken out, even though by that point she'd be so tired she'd be sagging and sliding out the back. (They go pretty quickly from strolling to sleeping, as I'm sure you've noticed).

All the best. Hope she makes a full recovery. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just moved house. (Finally). ;)

Thanks chooks! I believe your probably more awesome than I am! Lol my granddad (great granddad actually who is 97 and blind) came up with some not as fancy but it works. Do you know those long handled grabbers that elderly people use to pick stuff up off the floor so they don't have to bend over? We took a pair of those and put them in the locked closed position holding on to the scarf. Since the pole is four foot long or so I can stand in front of her with the scarf in position holding on to the "grabbers" (what in the world are those things called?!?!?) it's not fancy but it works for now. She is still much weaker on her rear right side her hip actually has the least muscle mass. Any thoughts on building up her hip muscles?

Congrats on your new house! It's a pain to move but worth it once you find everything a spot.

LOL, thanks, it's nice to be able to help people. Even if it's only a suggestion. I very much enjoy rehabilitating animals from what are considered hopeless cases, so I've tried a few random things in my time. ;)

Quote: Yup, we call them 'grabbers' here too, lol. I don't know if that's their real name. Good on your great-grandpa, too.

Quote:
If she was older I'd suggest something different but at this age, it's probably best to just keep giving her time to stand and exercise in the natural/correct way for her species (or as close to correct as you can make it without forcing her too far past her current physical limitations due the damage). You do have to push her past her current limits but only fractionally and only slowly. Some gentle stretching exercises targeted at that hip and leg should help, especially if you gently put that leg through the normal range of motion, taking into account her damage of course and not pushing it too far or hard or for too long. Repetition and regularity help more than intensity.

Nerve injuries take longer than most other sorts of damage to recover, so she may well be getting quite large before she's greatly improved. I would play it by sight, judge whether or not she's making progress every week and modify her exercises from there. A lot of rehabilitation is instinct or intuition guided guesswork, so to speak. It's great if you have a circumstance under which she will willingly, happily push herself; i.e. not because she's propelled by the fear of being left behind by her mother (you) but rather propelled into extra action by the enticement of, for example, playing with another kid.

On that topic, it can be nigh impossible to get even a grown goat to let you out of its sight without it bawling its head off if you're the only 'herd' it knows; getting another goat or other companion animal is generally the solution; this may seem like too much work, and it may indeed be a suggestion not applicable to your situation at this time or even any time. If she bonds to another kid, as she begins to become more active, all going well, she could be put in a pen with it or something like that. Best to train them to separation when young if you can, otherwise some adults can be quite demanding and troublesome. This may of course not be workable for you (or her) though. Best wishes with whatever you do there.

It's too early to say at this point, but it's worth considering as it's a possible future you face with her; she may never be 100%; still, she may well go on to have a full and happy life. But people can make it stressful for you when they deem the animal better off dead. (I don't think she's better off dead nor a hopeless case, for the record, I think she stands a good chance).

There's a lot of stigma and ignorance about animals that are handicapped, but putting them down is not always the kindest thing. I see people often put an animal out of its supposed misery just because they can't stand to look at a crippled animal. While that's understandable enough, even a damaged animal deserves a go, and they can and often do go on to take what chance they're given and make a successful go of it.

Many times I've had people put pressure on me to put down an animal that's fighting for its life, and they'll always congratulate me for not heeding them when it makes a recovery, yet after that whenever I'm rehabilitating another animal, again, they push me to put it down. "Good thing you didn't give up!" they'll say, until next time, when it's again "it's suffering, you don't know how bad, you've got to do the right thing, it's cruel to keep it alive, have mercy," etc... Some people seem to have a script memorized, or an automatic pre-programmed response, and they never stop to question it, despite it being wrong so many times.

Also, people sometimes call anyone tending an injured or ill animal 'cruel' and other harsh and ignorant terms just because in their estimation the animal is hopeless or suffering too much or won't go on to be productive therefore should be culled. Granted this can be the case; but it's not always the case, yet people very rarely differentiate.

What I'm getting at is that if you wind up with a goat that always limps, be prepared to grow a thick skin about it. Don't feel bad though, as long as she's happy enough to keep trying, it's not cruel or wrong, no matter what people say. Some people won't say anything, just call the RSPCA or its equivalent on you. Ok, that's a whole lot of negative info which may never apply to your circumstance. I hope it doesn't. Well-meaning people can do a lot of needless harm. Just be aware of the potential for ignorant but well-meaning folks to pose a threat to your animal or put pressure on you to cull her.

I've had pressure put on me about basically every animal I've rehabilitated, both from friends and family and complete strangers. Right now, in fact, I'm tending two animals which would be seized and destroyed without a second option if the RSPCA became involved. They're both treatable cases of common disease, nothing compared to some things I've dealt with, but they just don't look great at the moment. I'm not denigrating the RSPCA, they do great work too, but they also make fatal mistakes based on reports and hearsay. They're in a tough position and often have to make snap decisions. I know more than a few people who've had elderly animals confiscated and destroyed as abuse cases despite there being no abuse involved; some people have lost not only their pet but been fined and branded as animal abusers and forbidden from keeping animals for years or lifetimes, based on a mistaken case, people seeing abuse where there was none. I hope your vet's ready to back you up if necessary.

Best wishes.

Ok guys sorry I've been MIA Cocoa seems to have caught a cold over the weekend that has gotten done worse so back to the vet we go this afternoon. Temp is 102.3 so no fever but is sneezing and congested sounding. Hasn't felt good this weekend so no more steps since the first ones. :( I'm feeling a little blue. Seems like despite my best efforts I can't seem to make her better. Plus after half my farming family telling me this weekend that she would never get better and to put her down I'm just having a crap day. I love this little goat and am not giving up but I'm starting to second guess everything! Should I feed her more? Should I do more stretches or less? Is she warm enough too hot? Everything! Just wanted to update you guys and will let you know what the vet says.

Ok, I have been following this thread and hoping your little one makes a good recovery, I would certainly not say the same as your family and I think you are wonderful for trying to help little Cocoa...... But, sometimes mums abandon their young as they know they have problems, interestingly, just before you started this post, I had watched a programme about a rare type of deer, it had a bad leg, they think it had been stamped on by mum and she abandoned it, they operated and it was touch and go, the little one seemed to be ok but suddenly after 5 days it took a turn for the worse and died, they found it had a heart defect, it was very sad to watch, the vet and all the nurses had become attached and were very upset, but it just wasn't meant to be. Now, I really hope this is not the case for your Cocoa but it is a possibility and something you should be prepared for, I know you probably already know all this and I hope with all my heart that all will be well, I hope the cold is minor and can be treated easily, then you can get back to sorting that leg out! I hope you don't mind that I have said what I have X

Anyways took Cocoa to the vet and she has a cold. Dose of antibiotics for next five days to make sure it doesn't get worse. Bought a old time rubber hot water bottle for her which she is loving. Getting lots of cuddles and her own pile of crumpled paper and toilet paper rolls to entertain her. She's also breathing a bit better as I put infant Vicks on the sides of her nose.

You are doing wonderful for a first time goat owner. You jumped in you are seeking advice and getting her the care she needs. Most of all you are loving her so even if something does happen ( I really hope not) you should be proud that you filled her life with love. Please don't give up on her. I know its hard not to think that especially when everyone around you is saying give up. You and cocoa are in my prayers.

Thanks Jorey I really needed that day! Big hugs! If sheer force of will can keep a goat alive then she should outlive me! Will update you guys again tomorrow.... I'm beat and the kids Cocoa and I are watching a movie then headed to bed!

So glad Cocoa is ok, the fact that you ignored my previous post shows me that it upset you and I am truly sorry for that, I think you are a wonderful person and you are doing a wonderful thing, everything in your power to help little Cocoa and believe me, I would do the same, I am a true animal lover ( I prefer them to most humans
wink.png
) All that said, when you have animals, there will be things you have to deal with that are so very hard and will break your heart, it is just a fact of life I'm afraid... BUT, I am sure Cocoa will be ok with your love and care and all the good wishes coming from people on the forum X

Back
Top Bottom