SOS, Month old chick with possible broken hip/slipped tendon/splay leg???

Hello all! Please please please help us!!! we have a month-old chick whose left leg is completely wrong and we don't know what else to do. we had her in a sling for a few days, we have tried wrapping her legs for slipped tendon, etc... we would appreciate any help for her. Here is a photo of her. View attachment 2723944View attachment 2723944View attachment 2723944

Looks like a leg bone deformity.
Do an on site search for twisted tibia, valgus varus and bone deformity. Sadly, if this is the case, there's not a lot that can be done to correct the leg.
Some birds learn to adapt and can thrive while others are unable to manage or they may also have other developmental issues that appear as they age.

Hi. I saw this post yesterday but decided to see what others had to say since I’m not a professional with this kind of stuff. How’s your chick? This looks a lot like what happened to my chick. He had a slipped tendon and I couldn’t fix it either and it looked exactly like yours. At this point, I would say you won’t be able to fix it anymore. How long has she been like that though? Now, I don’t know if I made the right decision with my chick or not but he didn’t seem to be any pain so I let him live with his disability, though lots people would probably just cull a chick like that. Does she get around ok with her disability?
Here’s my chick, as you can see his leg looks at lot like your chicks leg. View attachment 2725010
Hello...just curious as to how your chick with the slipped tendon is doing? Do you keep her isolated from other? I have a 7 week old guinea keet that has a slipped tendon- we have taken it to the vet, tried wrapping it, but it keeps slipping out- she holds up and it trembles-- my biggest concern is whether or not she is in any pain or not. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to ask about the pain factor, but if she isn't in any pain then I'd like to give her the opportunity to live the best life she can. Any advice?

Hello...just curious as to how your chick with the slipped tendon is doing? Do you keep her isolated from other? I have a 7 week old guinea keet that has a slipped tendon- we have taken it to the vet, tried wrapping it, but it keeps slipping out- she holds up and it trembles-- my biggest concern is whether or not she is in any pain or not. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to ask about the pain factor, but if she isn't in any pain then I'd like to give her the opportunity to live the best life she can. Any advice?
I actually don’t have my chick anymore, he was a cockerel and I’m not allowed to keep them. But he went to a farm and as far as I know, he’s very happy. I don’t think the people that have him keep him separated, they did at the beginning but not anymore. His leg was a little shaky too, but he wasn’t in pain. Yes I would try to determine whether she is in pain or not and go from there. If she isn’t, I’m sure you’ll give her a great chance at life. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom