SOS -- what is this called?

Thoughts:
- Mazuri starter has plenty of niacin, and low niacin is not a flock killer.
- The incubation period for duck viral hepatitis is 1-2 days, so this would not come from a hatchery if they are 3 weeks old.
- My friend recently lost more than half her flock and the state vet thinks it was most likely botulism. She had a dog house with a plasic bottom that held water and one side had wet hay + duck poop. The vet thinks that might have been the source. One factor he considered was not just the fact of the deaths but their pattern.
- Because yours died at about the same time point, this may point to a common source of poison or disease. Your good biosecurity makes me think this might NOT be a contagious disease.

Questions:
- Salt easily kills ducklings. Do you have a new water softener? Is there any way salt might have gotten into their food or water?
- Did you take them outside for an outing where there might have been ant granules, insect spray, or poisonous plants?
- I believe the contents of puppy pads are not safe for ducklings. Is it possible that one opened up and they ate the contents?

My state vet autopsies a duck for about $90. I did have to drive the duck down there (a two hour drive each way), but he was able to rule out the common communicable diseases, which was a big relief. If you have one of your ducklings and can put the body in the refrigerator, then get it to your state vet, it might help you know how to protect your other ducks. My vet got results within a few days, some longer, but he kept in touch and let me know as he ruled ou more and more things.

Thoughts:
- Mazuri starter has plenty of niacin, and low niacin is not a flock killer.
- The incubation period for duck viral hepatitis is 1-2 days, so this would not come from a hatchery if they are 3 weeks old.
- My friend recently lost more than half her flock and the state vet thinks it was most likely botulism. She had a dog house with a plasic bottom that held water and one side had wet hay + duck poop. The vet thinks that might have been the source. One factor he considered was not just the fact of the deaths but their pattern.
- Because yours died at about the same time point, this may point to a common source of poison or disease. Your good biosecurity makes me think this might NOT be a contagious disease.

Questions:
- Salt easily kills ducklings. Do you have a new water softener? Is there any way salt might have gotten into their food or water?
- Did you take them outside for an outing where there might have been ant granules, insect spray, or poisonous plants?
- I believe the contents of puppy pads are not safe for ducklings. Is it possible that one opened up and they ate the contents?

My state vet autopsies a duck for about $90. I did have to drive the duck down there (a two hour drive each way), but he was able to rule out the common communicable diseases, which was a big relief. If you have one of your ducklings and can put the body in the refrigerator, then get it to your state vet, it might help you know how to protect your other ducks. My vet got results within a few days, some longer, but he kept in touch and let me know as he ruled ou more and more things.

Really great questions and great points. I hadn't considered the incubation period for viral hepatitis, thank you for reminding me.

I was just coming to update.

After a consult and post mortum, we're also thinking it's something they ate. Since they've only been on the waterfowl starter, it's heading to the lab Monday for testing. It's not likely the manufacturer, but perhaps improper storage at the feed store, during shipping, etc. On my ranch, they're stored inside, but there's so many factors before they get here. On Friday I noticed very slight water damage in the corner, it does go all the way through the bag.

:he

I'm kicking myself for not checking the seal on the bag before. I should've thought...

Hopefully, we should have more answers early next week.

Keeping them quarantined and always following our best practices really helped me sleep knowing the big guys weren't really at risk (helped -- I've still had some long nights).

That said, one of these girls did pull through. She went down like the others and I had written her off. At 2am the next morning, she was still there. We're definitely not out of the woods yet, but each hour, it's looking better and better.

I always keep two feed bags on hand (had glass break in one before). She's been on the new feed since and the old new bag has been sent out.

I need name suggestions, thinking Zombie. :lau

This isn't going well. Thinking for sure it was the food, feeling bad for the one left, and happening to see a few at a local feed store, I brought a few more home yesterday morning. Obviously that was a bad choice and short sighted of me. This morning, one had died. This afternoon 4 more were gone. This leaves two.

I am calling the state diagnostic lab tomorrow, I was able to put the ones that died today on ice within an hour.

This is very concerning, I'm worried about my existing flock. I keep reminding myself we quarantine for a reason, they haven't been cross contaminated in any way, the big ducks show no signs of illness, it follows duck viral hepatitis to a t (despite the lingering question of where this came from), and I've assigned big duck care to someone else so I'm even quarantined until at know for sure what is going on.

:barnie:he

What a nightmare.

I am glad you are taking two to the state lab. They will rule out communicable diseases for you, which will help with the rest of your flock. There is also a second test, available in my state for more $, that tests for nearly 100 poisons such as pesticides and such. Ruling out both poisons and communicable diseases will help for your other flock, as it then narrows the field to fungal infections and botulism.

If you are having the feed analyzed, do ask them to also check salt content. Sometimes they can make an error when creating the feed.

The state vets do not officially check for fungal infections and botulism, but they will speak with you freely - be sure to call them. My vet told me he didn't know what killed Kevin - but he told me the pattern of deaths was consistent with botulism and not with several other options. If they see anything unusual as they do the autopsy, they will tell you that, too.

I even put the duck's name on the form, and referred to him by name when I called... so the vet took extra care talking to me, knowing he was a valued pet, not just a number in a flock. Every little bit helps!

I dropped the girls off this morning (I ended up choosing the vet school and not the state vet). He thinks they'll have the slides back tomorrow and answers on Wednesday. The pattern of deaths is consistent with feed, but this would be two bags (one from a feed store, another straight from Purina). If the necropsy rules out communicable diseases, analyzing the feed is the next step.

Thank you all for brainstorming and offering suggestions. I'll update again when I know more.

Back
Top Bottom